View Single Post
Old 2006-05-09, 11:56   Link #28
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
The point is...

It's effectively NightWish's contest, he's the one who has been driving the contest and he's the one who will personally pay for the prize entirely out of his own pocket, so it's only fair that he should be the one who announces the winner.

AnimeSuki is GHDpro's creation and so it's only fair that he should be made aware of the mascot winner before an announcement is made. GHDpro has been studying in Japan for the last few weeks and as a side effect he isn't available as frequently as he would like. He had only just seen the contest result this morning (i.e. only about 10 hours ago) and has given the go ahead. While he did this after you made your post, I suspect he was not aware of it.

Without the green light from these two key players, it would be wrong for anyone else to make the announcement.

I just checked the last time NightWish was logged into the forums and I can see it was late Saturday night, i.e. just a few minutes after he made the internal announcement that we had come to a final decision on the winner and therefore we were just waiting for the word from GHDpro. If I remember correctly he said he might not be around, having to travel away for work. Please remember we are not logged in 24/7 and have to comply with mundane activities such as going to work and earning a living. I'm sure as soon as he logs in again and sees the confirmation from GHDpro he would have announced the winner.

Yes, the contest did take a long, long time to finalise. There are many reasons or excuses, the forum crash certainly didn't help and having to get as many of the entries to be resubmitted was a slow job. After that, it was no easy feat to determine the winner since there were several extremely good entries and we have been discussing the merits and then had the difficult task of trying to decide which entry we would most like to see as our mascot.

Finally, we run and maintain AnimeSuki and the forum as a hobby, we do not live sleep, breath the forums. It's done for fun because we enjoy doing it. If we do not live up to your expectations then I'm sorry but that's the way it is. While I do know who the winning candidate was, I'm afraid that the results will have to wait for a little while as the timing of your post was most unfortunate and may delay the announcement again.
Well it's your contest and you can do it however you wish, I understand that. I also understand that not everyone visits the forums all day (me included). But when the information giving on the front page says "in the next couple of weeks" as in 2 weeks, and 2 months later there's still no news, what do you expect from the contestants?

Yes you spend lots of time judging, but we also spent lots of time working on them. I wouldn't think it would be awfully much to ask that after the 2 weeks expired, to have a small update saying:

"We're sorry the contest results could take a few more weeks" or something to that extent. I realize you don't have to (and didn't) but it would atleast show us that you still cared about the contest. After no news/updates in over 2 months, people like me just give up hope of it ever finishing. And I think that was the reason I was upset.