View Single Post
Old 2011-07-27, 14:23   Link #324
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Thanks a lot, Coldlight.
With modern entertainment dominated by anti-heroes and cynical protagonists, I find characters like Superman and Sayaka Miki quite refreshing.
I think this is a really interesting, because only a couple of years ago it used to be the exact opposite (at least in anime, definitely. Not so sure about western media).
The main character would more often than not be a positive character with an idealistic outlook, and we would find cynical or broken protagonists/anti heroes refreshing =)
(My best example is when Angel Sanctuary (or any other Kaori Yuki manga. Or X-1999) was released, and we devoured it, because the protagonists (and essentially no one in there) were not positive and idealistic, but predominantly messed up.
I remember myself being fed up with what I then perceived as self righteous, annoying characters (who most likely had a trouble free past) who have troubles understanding less fortunate characters (who were then often rivals or villains, at least initially). And often they would go about criticizing these more troubled characters, despite not having a clue what they went through. It used to really bother me =D
Nowadays, the roles have been more or less reversed.... and we are glad to see an idealist pop up...

(I mean the type of main character that.. say, most, if not all Magical Girl shows have, and a lot of shounen series used to have. I remember Yu Gi Oh GX had the most horrible example of this type of "annoying idealist" as a main.
i'm not saying Sayaka is annoying btw, I love her, and she's deep, not chronically airheaded like some of those characters were This is just in reference to your statement about idealists being refreshing nowadays.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
I thought she overreacted to the soul gem reveal, but hey, Madoka and Kyouko were pretty floored by it themselves. And I do think that Sayaka's reaction was sincere. Being a "zombie" really did bother her that much, I think. To a degree, I can understand why. Is her body capable of aging now? Is it capable of pregnancy? These may be questions on the back of Sayaka's mind, plaguing her.
I thought that too. Plus, I was kind of under the impression that she did not reveal her feelings before, because she was afraid or scared of rejection, but because it wouldn't have been appropriate.
Being afraid was maybe a factor, but not THE factor why she waited.
The boy had just lost his dream and arguably purpose in life, a confession is probably the last thing he wanted to hear...
As to why she didn't do it in the years before that- well, she was just too young. 13-14 is the kind of age where I would expect them to start admitting their feelings, but then the accident happened.

The way I understood the show, she was planning to reveal it to him now that he had been healed, but then she started learning the truth about the system, realizing what she had signed up for, and then BAM- the soul gem reveal that she just couldn't take, like you said.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I got this impression.. =)
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote