View Single Post
Old 2013-01-30, 21:50   Link #2208
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
At first it was because of the way she totally dissed Momo in the first season
But that worked for Nodoka. It was the smart thing for her to do. So I don't see any reason to hold it against her.

Quote:
(seeing her and Yumi together in achiga really helped with that, though), but then I noticed she isn't the most exciting character, which is probably because she's literally supposed to play like a machine, and that doesn't make you particularly likable when everyone else in the table is fighting with their soul on their sleeve or having the time of their life.
Was Teru fighting with her soul on her sleeve or having the time of her life? I certainly didn't get that impression from Teru's big match in Achiga-hen.

Teru was cool as a cucumber, just like Nodoka tends to be.

Honestly, I like the calm professionalism of characters like Teru and Nodoka. I wouldn't want every Saki character to be like that, of course, but it can be nice for a change and a welcomed contrast.

In any event, most of the reason I like Nodoka has little to do with her mahjong-playing. Nodoka and Saki have a lot of great moments together, imo.

Quote:
Also, she's a hypocrite, or did you forget her girlfriend can play any table like the phantom of the opera plays the organ?
How does that make Nodoka a hypocrite? Nodoka probably just thinks that Saki is a great mahjong player, period. She probably thinks that Saki doesn't have magical luck so much as Saki's success rises and falls on the bases of how confident Saki is in a specific moment (which, in fairness to Nodoka, is generally true of Saki).

Quote:
It's not that the powers annoy her, she doesn't recognize their existance, and there's no reason behind that as far as I know.
The idea of the powers annoy her, and that's partly why she doesn't believe in them. If other mahjong players have these powers, then all the skill and training in the world may come to naught when you go up against one of these magical girls of mahjong who can simply hax her way to victory. It shouldn't be hard to see why that might bother a serious mahjong competitor who doesn't have such powers.