Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-31, 11:59   Link #26075
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Perhaps because in the case of the guy who shot up Senator Gifford, he was an unmedicated Schizophrenic, and he only understood that what he did was wrong after they forced him on meds. The meds that he wasn't on at the time of the shooting.

Jared Lee Loughner definitely sounds like a case where being on his meds would have helped.
Actually Jared Laughner was on Salvia Divinorum.
While this drug probably wouldn't effect a mentally stable person the way it did Laughner, a schizophrenic on this drug may be an entirely different story altogether.
The problem is the effects of Salvia are not completely understood especially long term or side effects of abuse of the drug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Because drugs are only for rock stars and movie stars. Plebians should rightly know to stay clear!

Seriously though, gun control aside, I grew up in Vancouver, BC (Canada) and we have a massive homeless problem due to the relatively mild weather (homeless migration, if you'll believe it). A study was done years ago showing a vast proportion of these people are mentally ill and/or drug addicts -- the problem is there will always be those that fall through the cracks of any well system. Ultimately, as a society and as people, how important and how wide should this safety net be? There will be real costs to it that people refuse to bear (cue Universal Healthcare debate -- I'm joking, don't talk about it here, it's just similar) and even then some will slip through.

Now, psuedo news:

Authors of New Study Exposes Obesity and Exercise Myths

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
I agree with you on the Health Care problem.
I supported a new style of medicare system for the poor rather than the corporate mandate to buy insurance that we were handed by our congress.
Between Ronald Reagan and the ACLU, our mental health care system in the US is a complete mess and needs to be overhauled.
There are too many people in need of serious mental health assistance that are slipping through the cracks.
On top of this we have children that are being overmedicated for ADD they don't have (some of them do, but many don't) to fatten the profits of Big-Pharma.
That needs to change.

The obesity article was very interesting.
I agree with Dr. David Ludwig, drugs and fat-burning fads cannot replace a good diet and excercise. The problem with obesity in the US is the lack of quality in our food, and the quantity of it most people eat.
I mean really, do people need Crispy Cream every damn morning?
I eat ONE main meal a day and have small snacks if I get hungry (usually salad or grains/granola).
That main meal is a well balanced mix of meat, veges, and a very small portion of carbs (usually rice or bread).
Being endomorphic, I don't need to eat very much to function, heck on one 800 cal meal I do my work and weight lift every day.
So I can see how fat-burning drugs won't do any good if the person doesn't change what's wrong, i.e. their way of eating entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Think this is a nice read, besides the writer seem to put some effort into writing this article, like real research work, unlike other videogames "journalists/blogger".
Shooters: How Video Games Fund Arms Manufacturers
What I find shocking, but not quite unexpected, is how easy parents give in to kids whining, and even worst not checking what they are actually buying them.
Interesting read.
I don't agree with EG's conclusions, but very interesting nonetheless.
Thank you.

__________________________________________________ _______________

More on the Syrian crisis.

Russia concerned with Israeli 'attack' in Syria
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...339347,00.html