View Single Post
Old 2010-02-16, 10:41   Link #41
upiro

Quote:
I watched the first three episodes of Spice and Wolf and kinda dropped it along the way, probably because I loathe anything that has to do with economics and the voice acting was grating.
Lol, fair enough! I found the discussions on economics surprisingly compelling but mostly enjoyed the witty interactions of the two main characters.

I’ve watched about half of Texhnolyse before and thoroughly enjoyed it (though the first episode did make me go “huh?”). I’ve wanted to finish the series for quite a long time now and I liked how the first big arc (if I remember correctly) defied my initial expectations of all of the characters and made them much deeper than I had anticipated. I’ve heard that it gets even better! And of course, the character designs by Yoshitoshi Abe are truly drool worthy.

Speaking of Abe, I watched Haibanei Renmei again recently (after an interval of a few years) and I just remembered how beautiful it was. It left a powerful impact on me (again) and rose several notches up my “All-time favourite anime” list. Did you like it and do you know of any other anime series which leaves a similar impression?

And I’ll check out Ghost Hound as well. I’ve heard good things about it and a viewing is long overdue. Also, what do you think of Fantastic Children and Twelve Kingdoms if you’ve watched them?

I’m already following All-Rounder Meguru and looking forward to more chapters. And I just checked Angela Carter on Amazon and she sounds exciting!! Oh, and if you enjoy dark, twisted fairy tales as well as the language and literary style of Jane Austen, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell just might fit right under your alley

Although the premise is slightly .... strange, Ryuguden has a very poignant ending. I enjoyed it more than I expected and re-reading it made me realise that it was quite a creative, albeit disturbing manga with some very dark themes.

Last edited by upiro; 2010-02-16 at 11:12.