View Single Post
Old 2010-04-08, 14:28   Link #17142
GameraBaenre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like_Clockwork View Post
I was wondering how easy it is to jump into the world of resin models. I've really been wanting to get something from FSS. I'm pretty accustomed to gunpla by now and I want to eventually (in the near future) take a try at resin models. Also I saw how others were talking about the ease of using lacquer and what exactly makes them easier to use? sorry to sound like a noob haha
Resin isn't necessarily more difficult, but just requires more attention to details.
- Mold lines are more prominent in resin kits than in bandai plastic.
- Resin is much softer than bandai plastic, so some care in sanding is needed
- Resin needs to be primed
- Since most resin parts are solid pieces, they need to be pinned to help strengthen joints.
- resin kits are mostly static pose kits, and for some that are moveable, it's best to find a pose and fix pose it.
- resin kits need to be washed, much more so than plastic kits as mold release agents that are part of the production process for resin kits will keep primers and paints from sticking to the surface.
- epoxy glues are the best glues to use for strength
- you will be very familiar with putty as resin kits sometimes have pin holes that need to be filled, or areas where two parts meet need putty to hide seams.

But for all intents and purposes,if you build and paint plastic gundam models, it's not difficult at all to move into resins.

As for lacquer's ease of use. Personally, I find that the tolerances for thinning is not as precise as it is for acrylics. When spraying the paints, I have found that lacquers stick better, and I can get effects with heavier spray patterns to create a wet look that if I tried with acrylics, would end up with a pool of paint. The cure time is also something I like for lacquers as they will cure much faster than acrylics. With acrylics, I would have to wait a full week to two for a good cure - when with lacquers, I can wait a day or two. This goes into how delicate the paint is over the parts during the cure times. I can take my fingernail and run it lightly across the surface of a part painted with lacquers that have cured for a day and nothing will happen; but trying this with acrylics that have been cured for a day or even two, the paint will come right off.

Most of my friends who have been hard core acrylic fans, that have tried using lacquers, switched almost immediately. It's one of those things that you need to personally experience. Some folks whom have tried lacquers don't like it and stick with acrylics. It just boils down to a matter of preference and what you personally find easier to use and such. Hopefully that gives some insight into lacquers. Granted they are not as easy to find as acrylics; but for my time and money, they are totally worth it
GameraBaenre is offline   Reply With Quote