View Single Post
Old 2009-10-26, 14:31   Link #1568
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
I don't know what YHBT means, but I'm merely speaking from observation.
YHBT stands for "You have been trolled." That isn't to say that the ending actually was a troll; but some people like to think that they were in on the joke.

Quote:
At the nonresolution of the love triangle, the Ranka Haters I saw yelled the loudest, raged the hardest, and came up with the most amount of asinine theories to "prove" that either the love triangle actually WAS resolved, or that the ending was changed at the very last minute.

Ranka fans seemed to be quieter about the whole thing.
The thing is, though, the ending of the love triangle has nothing to do with whether or not you appreciate Ranka's character. As Foreshadow pointed out, you run the risk of stereotyping people based off of their character preferences if you try and relate the two.

Quote:
And those of us who were just sick and tired of the incessant "Who will Alto choose?" chatter were rather satisfied.
But is that really satisfaction? While I can see the momentary pleasure in getting even with the guy who stole your metaphorical lunch money, was that the reason that you started watching the series? Or was it for the story, which, as you noted, was rushed?

The people whom you see fighting over shipping aren't all that different. While they're initially drawn to the series for what it is, the arguments eventually become less about the characters themselves and more about individual egos. At that point, it's not that you want to see Sheryl or Ranka have a happy ending, but rather that you want to win "your" ship and beat the other guy.

Enjoyment had at someone's expense is usually bitter at best.

Quote:
Pure dickishness (and there were real dicks on both sides, but (again, in my observation) there were more Sheryl dicks than Ranka dicks...so much so that it affected my love of Sheryl a bit) should be punished, not rewarded, no?
I think that such people tend to punish themselves, regardless of what the outcome of the story is. There's no point in winning an argument at the cost of missing the enjoyment in the series itself.

Just let it slide.