Thread: Licensed Rurouni Kenshin Hokkaido Arc
View Single Post
Old 2017-06-21, 02:39   Link #15
n0m@n
C-Z

I wasn't that eager in the continuation not only because it's been so long ever since the original ended. But also because of the fact that Jinchu arc wasn't as satisfying as the Kyoto arc. Don't get me wrong. I used to love this series since it is one of the few series which was being serliased when WSJ went from Golden age (Reigns of the big 3 DB/SD/YYH) → Dark times (End of all big 3) → Restoration period (Series which would later become major really quickly were introduced. Series such as OP, HxH, Naruto, and Bleach).

It was actually the most popular and best series in WSJ during the dark times which almost lasted for two years. The Kyoto arc was really epic and ever since Slam Dunk ended it always ranked 1st in ranking till the end of the Kyoto arc. But soon as the Jinchu arc started it wasn't hype as the previous arc due to the fact that the other Six Comrades besides Enishi wasn't fascinating or didn't do so well in capturing the attentions of the readers as Shishio and Juppongatana did. It still did well in ranking but not as good as before since it dropped from being ranked 1st. By the time Jinchu arc started OP was introduced in WSJ and it pretty much stole the 1st rank from RK in a matter of a month or so after being serialized (a feat even HnS nor DB was not able to do). So most people started to shift their attention to OP.

Wakatsuki did mention about Hokkaido arc in the past. But if Watsuki is really serious about it (which he is since its going to start in few months) then he needs to make it more interesting than the Jinchu arc. Not saying Jinchu arc wasn't good. It was good. But not as great as Kyoto arc (saying for the 2nd time). There has been great series where their last few arcs didn't do too well compared to their primes and even once a great series like Bleach where the final arc became utter shit to the point that it was actually axed.