View Single Post
Old 2017-01-29, 20:00   Link #36
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Originally Macross Plus as a concept had nothing to do with the Macross franchise. Big West convinced Kawamori to contribute story and mecha to what would become Macross 7. So Kawamori made a deal. You let me do my Top Gun with mecha I'll contribute to your 52 episode show a story and the mecha I wanted to use for Escaflowne.
While I agree on the idea of both planned at once (Delta and this new project), I really don't think this is similar to Plus and 7.

Because Plus first and foremost is an OVA series adapted into a movie later on and 7 is a TV series which received a couple of OVA and if I recall one dinky movie. In other words, by how much content is involved, the possibility both were planned from the beginning is ultimately possible without problems or relation to other parties involved.

Delta and this newly announced series, on the other hand, it is possible this is the reason for the 8-year time gap. They planned for two different stories, told one via Delta, and if Delta fell, their backup plan is the other story in this new series. There is little chance it's about sponsors or publishers or anyone else involved in the development/showing of anime in Japan. This is planned enough ahead of time by all involved for there to be a majorly small deadline if you go by how long a Macross series or mecha series (in general) takes to do.

And for all it's downfalls, Delta is a Macross series in the franchise. All the lore, action, singing, and otherwise is in Delta; meanwhile, 7 had holes in this area occasionally (filler episodes?).
There is nothing in Delta telling me this is all because of wanting to please any higher ups.
The new singing+action sequences in the first episode?: Trying something new in an older franchise in order to attract newcomers. The new style of plot which is not character-based and is about war itself?: Trying something brand new for a majority of mecha anime and focusing on the philosophical side of war (right vs. wrong) wherein normal mecha is all about fighting to convey said situations. The musical choice?: Attribute it to all mentioned above.

In no way does Delta ruin the formula in terms of its overall quality; it's execution fails but that's a writer issue. The rest is Macross 100%.