View Single Post
Old 2004-02-20, 23:43   Link #22
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

It's weird to hear all this because I have a relatively large fanbase where I live. I've experienced it a little before, but not nearly as much as everyone is saying [I'm in high school].
When they ask me about, I tell them it's like any sitcom on TV in the US during the day or at night, except instead of hiring actors, they hire artists. Also, I contrast it from American cartoons in the fact that most [all] anime has a storyline, and normally can't stand alone like American cartoons can. They end up leaving the argument with a relatively neutral, even interested viewpoint [if so, I invite them to our Anime Club].
However, I do run into the people that just couldn't care what I say and keep talking crap about anime anyway. Just let them rant, because those types just won't change. They are just afraid of/uncomfortable with what they know nothing about.
Oh, and I agree with the one that didn't like otaku [in the Japanese sense]. Anime should be a hobby or interest, not an obsession.
Note: No public anime showing will go without heckling. [from "All I ever learned, I learned from anime," which you can see at http://www.abcb.com/misc/latt_03.htm. It's a funny list of anime stereotypes.]
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote