View Single Post
Old 2012-07-04, 09:19   Link #72
madmac

Quote:
...I don't get it, how does having tons of material suddenly a bad thing?
It's a great thing for a long-running shonen series that never goes off the air. It's potentially a problem for a series that is cleared for just 13-26 episodes and who can't assume they'll ever get another season. No one really wants their end date for the hot new season to be stuff that happened 3-4 years ago in the manga.

I'm not saying they had to do is this way. Obviously, they could have done a hyper-compressed take on Eotw/Mykonos that was all plot and very little laughs and probably confusing as hell for new viewers because of all the stuff they had to cut, not to mention the massive tone shift. Hell, it's what I wanted them to do, problematic as it was. There would have been benefits to going that route if only because it's a fan favorite arc, but the chance of that appealing to newbies (Which is one of the main points of doing manga adaptions) would be pretty slim.

Plus, as I said, after all that they'd still be way behind the manga, so if they ever did get a chance to do another anime/movie/ova whatever, they'd basically be looking at the exact same problem as last time.

The advantage of just saying "screw it, we're using the current set-up and running with it" is that it's both easier for new audiences to follow along and also makes things hella easier for them to do another season down the road because technically they're caught up now. Like, if later on they want to do the arc that's just starting up now, they can just do that and not worry about plowing through 6-7 years of back story just to be hip to what's happening in the manga these days.

Really though, the movie was the testbed for this. It was well received in Japan so they're already pretty confident they can make a new season work the same way.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote