View Single Post
Old 2007-04-02, 15:05   Link #562
Crovax
A2000A
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Crovax Send a message via AIM to Crovax Send a message via MSN to Crovax Send a message via Yahoo to Crovax
Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
[...]

I don't think it's possible, really, to learn a language "for the test" -- that is, to memorize without understanding it.

EDIT: Maybe words, but likely not grammar structure or the basic kanji.
I so not study Japanese in any formal course or w/e, but it doesn't seem that farfetched to me. Language courses tend to be cumulative, so one would be likely to cram 'newly learned vocab and kanji' for any specific test. You are of course right that if you did not Master all the previous subject material properly (e.g. by only cramming before tests and never properly giving new material the time to sink in) cramming would quickly become impossible as the matter encompassed by accumulation rapidly grows.

On another note: I have heard from a friend in university who takes Japanese that he feels the different levels of politeness are not properly taught. That is, that the student is not properly familiarized with actually using them in conversation etc. Anyone sharing that sentiment?
Crovax is offline   Reply With Quote