View Single Post
Old 2010-05-16, 08:28   Link #249
Sanger Zonvolt
Sword That Cleaves Evil

So I finished this series a little while a ago, and it was fun series overall.

I enjoyed the series much more after around episode 10 where with Simon, the series matured in theme and characters, and stopped being outright silly, if still ridiculous. My favorite characters throughout the series were Viral, Rossiu, and Kittan, Viral was probly the most entertaining character in part 1, had a awesome theme, and voiced by Nobuyuki Hiyama. Rossiu wasn't interesting until after the timeskip, where his conviction was compelling and it made him interesting, a logical character in a illogical world, which he even realized within the series later.

I guess when Kamina died so did alot of the immaturity of the series, which I guess was the make up of his character. He was a entertaining character yes, but a underdeveloped one who we barely got to know, and his death just didn't have the same impact of Kittan's, which was probably the best of the series. Kittan>>Kamina in terms of characterization, death, and development. I felt Kamina became just a plot device to development Simon in the end.

Near the end, I thought it was redundant that they just kept upgrading out of nowhere every episode, and the final battle ignoring the laws of physics completely in every way possible was quite funny.

The animation and style were pleasing to look at, I loved all the homages to Mecha Anime, and anime in general like the Anti-Spiral performing Dio's "Muda Muda" in his own style, the old school explosions from Mazinger Z, or the Autobot and Decepticon symbols during the battles against Lord Genome. The music was also decent, and while I didn't like Row Row Fight Da Powa at first, it grew on me.

I have to say I enjoyed it alot, as a poorman's GaoGaiGar, it was a good series, not quite as good as Gunbuster, Diebuster, or Evangelion, but Gainax never disappoints to make a fun series. For what they were trying to do, this probably would of better been served as a full 50 episode series.

7/10