View Single Post
Old 2012-07-25, 08:22   Link #16
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
On a more down to earth and less speculative front, I wonder what would it be like if various characters from similar genres to Extra, and normally upbeat genres like Slice of Life shows were placed in Muv Luv.

Certainly, I think the Muv Luv Universe would clearly demonstrate that there is great diversity in both personality and competency among the so called "generic Harem protagonist" class of characters.
As an illustration of this point, here's an example of how a crossover with a harem Protagonist in the world of Muv Luv Alternative might play out.

It was first posted on Spacebattles by Atreidestrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreidestrooper
Hmm, that makes think of an idea I once had. Though I am not really qualified to post this idea, as most of my Muv Luv knowledge comes from the Japanese Wiki of Muv Luv Alternative(a rather extensive wiki, to it's credit), and numerous Japanese fan fics.
A Muv Luv Saito summoned into Halkeginia by Louise-thing.

Saito Hiraga, Captain of the United Nations European Army 13th Tactical Surface Fighter division, who has just lost his squadron.
And it looks like he is next on the enemies' menu, his Tactical Surface Fighter(Muv-Luv Alt-Verse's mecha) being a scrap heap with the amount of battering it has taken.
Saito, while not given up the fight, sees his situation as futile anyway. Radio Chatter consists of pleads and screams of agony, and the tactical map shows so much red.
He flips the self destruct button, determined to use his life to kill the bastards that took his unit, his comrades, his one love.

The resulting explosion wipes his consciousness out. Black.
But he comes to, hearing a voice he wished to, and at the same time feared to, hear.

"Who are you?"

The voice of Captain Louise Valliere, that noble Knight who he loved so much, and who he had lost when she sacrificed herself to save him.
That day, years ago, had almost broken his will to go on. He could not stop mourning, that smile of reassurance haunting his memories.
The last words before the Data-link failed; "I saved you." Words that continues to haunt his dreams.

And she does not know him.

Oh, is that Guiche, his wingman and best buddy? And there is Kirche and Charlotte, the duo whose teamwork and ferocity in combat was admired even by the best Aces in the division?
Guiche, who died saving a new pilot who lost it and charged into the enemy. The new kid was a lost cause any way, sent back to the hospital with PTSD.
Kirche and Charlotte, both loyal to each other to a fault, had distracted the BETA long enough to call for artillery bombardment. They didn't survive, but the bombardment bought precious time.
Saito endured all of their deaths, because it is the way of the TSF pilot to remember and live, to survive.

They don't know him.

Then he meets Siesta, who in Saito's home world was the Command Post officer who was the last person he spoke with before flipping the switch.
The girl, who, in her mock attempts at seducing Saito had caused the fair and noble Captain to act like the girl she was inside, and was the one who supported Saito after the Captain died.
She was also a fellow survivor, keeping the memories of the dead alive with her.

She does not know him either, but greets Saito in the same, warm manner as She did when Saito first joined Captain Valliere's command.

I think this is the point Saito breaks down.
Because for all their differences of social standing, manners, speech, and ideals, he sees his comrades in arms.
He still sees them.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote