View Single Post
Old 2013-02-07, 18:33   Link #63
Ithekro
The Comet has Come

Star Trek works best when it has a compelling story, or at least a semi-compelling story with a lot of nifty special effects going on.

While the Next Generation had some stories like this, the Original Series had at least as many good stories in its three years. The key for the Original was the character dynamics. It didn't take long for the audiance to care what happened to Kirk, Spock, McCoy, or Scotty. Their relationship with each other was well written. And Kirk and Scott's love of the Enterprise was also well written, to the point were the ship itself is almost a character (to the point where it is sad to see her go).

The Next Generation had some of this. The audiance started to care what happened to Worf, Data, Picard, and Riker. The character interactions eventually got better, though the Enterprise-D never quite felt like a character the way the original did, nor did Picard or LaForge have the sort of relationship with it that Kirk and Scott did (that might be because the Enterprise-D was a new ship, while the older vessel was just that, and older starship with many parsecs behind her).

This dynamic is what failed a lot of the time in DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise. It took a bit too long to get to the point the audiance actually cared about these people (if they ever got to that point at all). DS9 had the darker tone stories and some are very well written and acted, but the character connection is not quite there for most of the cast until later on (sometimes very later on). Worf and O'brian came in with people caring what happened to him, the it tooks four or five season for me to even care about Bashir, Kira, Odo, or Quark. I'm not sure if I every really cared about what happened to Sisko or Jake. I warmed up to Dax quickly enough though. Oddly it was some of the regular guest stars characters I cared about more. General Martok, later episodes with Nog, and Garrak. I don't think I ever got really attached to anyone on Voyager or Enterprise.