View Single Post
Old 2013-02-04, 12:29   Link #86
junpieeh

I could not agree more that Kujira is the best composer in anime but I still feel her earlier work was her best work (.hack and aquarian age). But I don't think it's her score or the animation (although I am fond of the character designs... Okay I'm fond of Asuna's character design...) carries the series more than the story itself.

I went into SAO without any prior knowledge of the manga or LN's and I marked out so many times during the SAO arc, more than any anime in recent memory. There were so many standout moments for me ("you'll be really powerful one day," Sachi's message, dual wielding, all of episode 10 and 13-14). I don't watch nearly as much anime in the last 10 years (you can assume I saw everything from 96-02) but 1-14 of SAO is in a league of its own with only a couple of features comparable in drama (sword of a stranger, eva 2.1. Elfen lied was memorable as was the beginning of ergo proxy).

And then ALO did nothing for me. What made Asuna and Kitaro such an incredible pairing was completely removed from the equation. Asuna's role is so different she's almost a different character. It all felt so anti-climatic.

I would argue if not for the SAO arc and the series had stared with ALO with some background establishing eps, most would've avoided ALO altogether. The only thing holding any appeal for ALO is your attachment to the characters from SAO.

I would also add that any attacks on SAO following anime tropes is unfair because I don't think there's an anime out there doesn't follow anime tropes to some degree. Elfen Lied is as bloody, violent, and dark as any anime in recent years and it's still 25% harem anime. I can't name any anime that doesn't hit typical anime notes (brooding underdog lead with enormous potential, harem, light hearted comedy filler episodes).

Regardless, I gave SAO a 7 because of the quality of 1-14 was so high and in my mind, I've kinda erased 15-24 (you take out the first 5 minutes of 25 and it actually fits together pretty well). But I really do think the SAO arc was amazing.
junpieeh is offline   Reply With Quote