View Single Post
Old 2012-08-27, 04:50   Link #30191
Wanderer
Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Talk about fortuitous coincidences. She just happened to come across and amnesiac brain damaged individual who looked similar enough to Battler?
Yeah well maybe he looked about as close to Battler as Kanon does to Beatrice, since apparently that's close enough.

Quote:
But even accepting that, there's a lot more to question. For example what about Battler claiming he remembered he was 18 years old? Just another coincidence?

Then what about the fact that Tohya was a speed reader?
What about the fact that Tohya was knowledgeable about mystery novels?

What about the fact he turned out to have great ideas for writing mystery novels?
These are all arguments that work equally well against (Touya=Battler_&_Ikuko=random) as they do (Touya=random_&_Ikuko=Yasu). I find it ironic that you're using (Ikuko=Yasu_&_Touya=Battler) arguments here.

In any case, it can be explained with a mixture of coincidence and memory implantation.

Quote:
Lastly are the sudden attacks of memory recover experienced by Tohya really compatible with the theory of implanted memories?
Is it normal that he doesn't consider those memories as his own? Don't all the research data anout implanted memories that you mentioned suggest the opposite?
Yes, that's true... but it's not like there are any better scientific models for Touya's ostensible condition. Honestly, I don't want to have any more scientific debate about this, because (assuming you actually believe most of Touya's narration) Touya's condition is borderline science fiction regardless of your interpretation of it.

Quote:
Wait a second. She has a motive to bring a guy that she brainwashed in believing he is Battler in front of Ange, but not to simply hire a man to pose as him?

Explain.
You're projecting the motive onto the wrong source: It's Touya with the motive to see Ange, not Ikuko.

Of course you could debate as to how likely evil-brainwasher-version-Ikuko would be to permit Touya and Ange to meet, but "Touya is just an actor hired by Ikuko" doesn't even make for such a debate; it's dead on arrival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchwork Chimera View Post
So I finished reading the novels three weeks ago, and I needed go somewhere and talk about it. Then this thread appeared and... yeah.
Welcome to the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchwork Chimera View Post
I'm no doctor, I couldn't tell. But in Umineko there's a good plot point to shut that down. Remember? Beatrice II? No matter how Kinzo might've played the thing, no matter if she grew up sealed away from reality and believed in magic and wolves, she could not be someone she wasn't. She couldn't be Castiglioni. And then we have how 'no one can kill or resurrect the character but the actor that created him' in EP7.
(No one uses Umineko spoiler tags here)
As I see it, what you are saying about Beatrice II doesn't contrast with Touya's situation at all, but rather mimics it. Touya couldn't be Battler, either. Right?

Last edited by Wanderer; 2012-08-27 at 05:30.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote