View Single Post
Old 2014-01-20, 05:38   Link #16
cyth
Banned

Why do I like anime? That's a hard question to answer, because I mostly watch anime due to force of habit these days. I've been through too many phases of cynical attitude toward anime, yet I continue to watch them. It would take a pretty big shock for me to stop watching them altogether.

Anime these days, I'm afraid to say, don't have many advantages over the better western TV productions. Shows like Sherlock, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones (just to name a few) have great consistency in script quality. Still, they cover very classical genres, whereas anime get to cover a bunch of crazy shit that you can't see elsewhere. Would Jojo be Jojo if it weren't for the multi-generation drama and crazy poses? Would Kimi ga Aruji de Hitsuji ga Ore de even be allowed on American television? Can any TV series afford to be as gentle as Mushi-shi, spiritually creative as Natsume Yuujinchou, different as Last Exile, or outworldly as C - Control? Variety is the biggest advantage anime still has. It would be a shame to lose it.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote