View Single Post
Old 2013-07-28, 14:59   Link #29
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Edit: iPads don't do widescreen video well, but iPad minis have widescreens, right? So they could do widescreen video perfectly, correct? Also, does anyone know how well iPad minis play 720p videos from Crunchyroll? I think I'm gonna pick between a Nexus 7 or an iPad mini. While the best app store and iOS gaming aren't my top priorities for picking a tablet, they sure are sweet extras. I can get a 32 GB Nexus 7 off of Amazon for $190 and a 16 GB iPad mini for $340.
The iPad does widescreen just fine, it letterboxes. Just get a black iPad instead of a white one and you'll barely notice where the screen starts or stops, and letterboxing fades perfectly to that.

The "2013 Nexus 7" looks very nice. If I weren't already tied into Apple's systems I'd probably find it to be very compelling. The updated iPad Mini is rumored to be released some time this autumn or in the winter of 2014; I hope that the new Nexus 7 pressures Apple to get more aggressive with the Mini.

Unless you really like the smaller form factor, why are you limiting yourself to the smaller tablets? An iPad 3 would likely do everything that you're asking. When the iPad 5 is released this fall it will push the iPad 3 and iPad 4 prices down even farther. I don't know how the iPad 3 and 4 Android tablet-equivalents fared, but there's another consideration. High pixel density display or not, a larger screen size is nicer for reading and video viewing.

I haven't used Crunchyroll in years, but if you want to know how an iPad Mini or iPad 3 fares with higher-resolution streams just let me know.