Thread: Handheld Wars
View Single Post
Old 2004-09-22, 00:11   Link #22
Shadowlord
~DESU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
I think you cannot say anything until you've hold it in your hands...

So... DekaMaster is right! ^_^ this is a very old topic that always leads to the sony fanboy x nintendo fanboy war which has left many wounded! but I dont care! as teh nintendo fanboy Ill stand up for Nintendo even if you beat me up to death

Im going to repeat myself again...

[nintendo fanboy mode]

first the PSP is simply a shrunk PS2, I cannot find that even remotely funny or entertaining, and if you want to see movies or listen music you have to use their proprietary format! most games for the PSP are simply ports... so for many PS2 users buying a PSP means buying twice every game or movie, but if you are going to buy just one guess which one is going to be?... honestly if metal gear acid was available for both the PS2 and the PSP wher would you prefer to play it? in a big screen or in a tiny one while waiting in line? Besides most people end up using their portables at home, whats the point then? better buy a PS2, (or even better, a GAMECUBE! XD) than expending so much money in the PSP.

Then is the simple fact of durability, portables are meant to be kept in pockets, to use them and abuse them, the PSP looks definately more cool than the DS (although the latest version of the DS is great! ) but it also looks to be very delicate, and I think its even more delicate since it use disks instead of cartridges. Nintendo has always put a great effort in the quality of their products, and Im very confident it will be the same with the DS, instead Ive heard lots of complaints about sonys product's like with the PS2, sure some of you have a PS2 in perfect condition, but its not everyone, while I still have to hear anyone whos gamecube has crash, even my old famicon and nintendo 64 work perfectly fine! how many playstations owners can say that?
[/nintendo fanboy mode]

although its nintendo fanboy blaberish , some of the points I mentioned are very valid. At the end its just different strategies, Nintendo is going for innovation, Sony is going for raw power. Specs are something we die hard game fans can always discuss and crave about, but not the general gamer, or people in general, when my dad look at mario sunshine for the first time, he said it looked the same as the N64! for him the PS2 and the PS1 are just the same graphics! in this next generation the difference its going to be even less noticable, thats why Nintendo has chosen to offer something completly unique.

Us Nintendo fanboys have got to stick together!!

Most of what I was going to say has already been said. The PSP's major fault is its UMD disks. Sure, they advertise video and music playability, but then you will have to purchase their music on their disks, no burning songs to use on it. The same goes with video, yeah, im gonna pay $40 for a dvd resized for the UMD diskd to watch on a 3" screen. It is unlikely many people are going to use the music and video features of the PSP (except maybe the 10 minutes waiting for your game to load )

The DS on the other hand, is all about innovation. Voice recognition, which, if they get FPS on the DS, will be incredible for online play. The touch screen, I will admit, im still a little weary of using for games, but messaging and such, great idea. They are both going to have 3d graphics, so I don't think you will notice much of a difference between them. It is still unkown about the sound quality of the 2, but I would anticipate both being the same. What I think will really pull Nintendo through in the end is its low price, and loads of features. Also, a strong fanbase doesn't hurt either

I have never liked Sony products, they have always been cheap, and fragile (im a panasonic guy) so I guess their is a vast amount of bias in my post.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote