View Single Post
Old 2013-08-24, 12:53   Link #41
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I disagree. It was a needless and risky addition. The original manga approach was fine the way it was, and there's no good reason why the anime couldn't have stuck with that.
Well different views I guess. I thought the original scene was pretty slim anyways so adding a bit to it is fine by me. Give Miyu's character a bit of focus. Volunteers to carry Illya home after the previous incident and this time takes action to seperate her from any further fighting. Luvia and Rin need to get this done and aren't going to push heavily to keep Illya out of it since they can use the power and Illya herself might not be so willing to abandon a friend in need without a push. Whether or not it's a bad decision is one thing, I just think it's good that Miyu didn't just stand around doing nothing.

Quote:
Miyu plays deadpan well. Not everybody is going to interpret subtle visual cues the way you and/or The Green One might. And words that are nasty on the face of it are words that are nasty on the face of it. I'm inclined to agree with Random Wanderer that this speech was very out-of-character for Miyu. Some will be so shocked by the words that they'll miss the visual cues. I know that I was very shocked to hear Miyu insult Illya like that.
But isn't the point that they are shocking words? If they were obviously full of it then it wouldn't be as effective at pushing Illya away. Miyu isn't a great actress here. If she tries to sell it in a weak manner it won't be convincing.

Quote:
If Illya wasn't involved in it, then everybody else would probably have died at the hands of Saber Class Card. It's foolhardy to push Illya out after she's not only proved her worth, but also proved that she may even be essential.
Well yeah it's a given that they would have been wiped out otherwise against Saber. Don't think you'll find a difference of opinion on that front. But at the same time is Miyu so selfish that she'll encourage a friend who is suffering so much in these fights just so it's easier on her? If it means picking up the slack and pushing herself unbelievably hard I think a serious type like Miyu will pick that route. A decision with risks, but maybe risks Miyu is willing to live with.

Quote:
It's partly because Miyu is logical that I find her speech out of character here. Illya was tremendously helpful in defeating Caster and Saber. Miyu should be smart enough to realize that Illya was essential in capturing those Class Cards. Who's to say that the one after Assassin won't be the same?
But who's to say it would even go as well as it did this time? The winning move this time was a reckless area blast that could have taken out her own allies. What if even with Illya's help they can't take out the next card? This time was close regardless. If that poison was any more effective Illya would have been down before she could act and they would have died anyways. Helpful isn't the major part of the equation here. Illya's emotional breakdowns with Saber or here brought out Miyu's concern for Illya. Protecting her by pushing her away doesn't seem grossly out of character.

Quote:
It's worse than Miyu, Rin, and Luvia all getting themselves killed because they can't handle a Class Card that Illya would have made the difference against.

In any event, even if this is 100% about protecting Illya, there were far better ways that Miyu could have went about it.
The key word though is could. The end result could very well be the same. Whether it's victory or defeat. Maybe Miyu can win alone or maybe Illya would die along with them next time. One way though does make sure her friend lives to see another day.

And yeah there is definitely better ways to handle the situation. But are there better ways that Miyu would think of instantly and could actually pull off well? It's fine for us to sit here comfortably and come up with theories, but really Miyu felt the need to make a decision quickly.

Quote:
Miyu could be afraid. She might be legitimately afraid of what Illya might do next. I don't think so, but I think it's a viable interpretation.

Someone also could think that Miyu has ironically become jealous of Illya, seeing as how Illya mastered flight while Miyu couldn't and seeing as how Illya was able to defeat Saber when Miyu couldn't. So Miyu is now taking advantage of a bad situation to force out someone she's grown jealous of.

Now, do I think that? No, I don't. But again, not everybody is going to pick up on subtle visual cues the same way, and even for those who do notice them they may interpret them differently.

This anime-original scene really does run the risk of making Miyu seem like an unappreciative jerk to many viewers.
There are multitudes of ways to interpret things. Until we get Miyu's thoughts directly that's just how it is.

Risks are run, but I think it does a better job of not making Miyu a bystander. It's not just her reacting to Illya's decisions but making her own on what to do in this situation. In the worse case of her just flipping out because of the danger they were put in it at least gives Miyu more depth. She's a young kid too. Should Illya just be the only one allowed to get upset in this situation? If Miyu made a mistake that gives her something to overcome and grow from.

It's not like they are going to just ignore this and pretend it never happened. I just don't mind a bit of conflict in the plotline.

Whew, I'll leave it at this. I'm just not up for mass replying too often .