View Single Post
Old 2011-02-04, 16:25   Link #733
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
I'm pretty sure she won't become "Kanon" as in, start to dress and behave like Kanon (personally, I'd say the result of the Love Duel is predetermined, but the evidence I have in mind is up for interpretation). Perhaps it's a more mental thing, or perhaps this is what she, in her grief, feels - she feels that her inability to separate (grow up) from Kanon is controlling her actions. Ever heard of those mothers that refuse to believe their child died? You might walk up to one, tell her how sorry you are that it happened, and she won't have any idea what you're talking about. This is entirely subconscious - she will genuinely believe her child is still alive. Maybe we could see Yasu as a less extreme variant of that. Alternatively - it could be seen as a more extreme variant, although we'd have to assume YasuShannon is still sane to think straight enough to conceive her gameboards.
Wow, you managed to make Yasu more crazy than canon without even having to dress up like multiple people. That deserves some kind of award.

Quote:
The way I understand Will, is he's a brilliant guy who solved the mystery and found the truth by EP4 (is he even aware of EPs 5-6?). He also has the power to extract a confession out of anyone (and he was definitely going to use it). So I don't think fooling him with magic would work. Moreover - I don't think fooling him at all would work, or Shannon wouldn't have had a problem with his request. She had to genuinely believe Will would be walking himself into a checkmate - or she's one hell of a bluff (which isn't that unbelievable, except it was EP7, and it was Will).
Will's read Episodes 5 and 6, since he mentions Erika in conversation and brings up elements in those games. Bern showed him everything so he was up to speed and not fighting at a disadvantage.

I don't see why Will talking to Shannon and Kanon at the same time would checkmate him in any way...UNLESS doing so was impossible. Since your theory has Kanon continuing to exist on the Gameboard as a fictional character, there shouldn't be a problem with him meeting both; I mean, it's not like Lion is actually real either.

Quote:
Assuming she believes Will would be walking himself to a checkmate - we need to ask "why?". Let's assume Shkanon is true, for a moment. Even if we assume it's true, I'm not sure there's a Logic Error here - Shannon would simply have to admit she's been tricking everyone. So I think it has to be something different, but still something that is strictly related to Shannon and Kanon. This is the first thing that comes to mind, and, if you assume the theory is true, I think it fits pretty well - again, especially because Will was going to use his Spectator Authority.
The way the Spectator Authority works, it seems to FORCE people to comply with what he's asking, unless the Gamemaster intervenes. This includes allowing the piece in question to recall memories from other kakera as if it ain't no thang.

Thus, Shannon is being forced to do something that is impossible, causing her broken robotic freak out thing. If he had forced her to get Kanon so that he was greeting both of them, under Shkanon theory, this would be impossible, and might just fucking break everything. If, as you suggest, Shannon merely has to admit she's lying, it would probably break the "Shannon" and "Kanon" characters and make it impossible for Will to gain any more information.

Quote:
() About preconceiving Kanon: Can you tell me what point of the story we're talking about? I mean, I remember they *talked* about a 'little brother' and a 'servant' before he arrived, but I don't remember they actually designed him in detail. If they did, though, we'd have to see if we should take this at face value: maybe, for example, Yasu overheard Genji talking about a new male arrival, and she simply came to believe that ClairBeatrice - the all-powerful witch - revealed this to her in her dream (remember, the story doesn't have to be entirely accurate - recall the red guts scene, or Kinzo's confession. It's simply what the person telling it came to believe).
"He'll be a One-Winged Servant who'll directly serve Kinzo! Won't that be cool?" And they also talk about GIVING a brother to Shannon to ease her loneliness. They're not saying one's coming, they're deciding one is coming, and deciding what his role will be. Yasu isn't the Head yet, so she doesn't have the authority to decide this kind of shit. Meaning Kanon is made up.

Yes, Yasu's testimony isn't absolutely reliable, but even if you take away the fantasy elements, we have Shannon designing another character during one of her "world revisions." She made up this new male servant and then the Shannon characters says that she heard about a new servant showing up.

Quote:
() About a collective that can be swapped out for Beatrice: I'll have to ask which point of the story we're talking about, since this is slightly ambiguous. Can you give an example of several events where this happened, and in what way?
The example that most springs to mind is when Shannon and Kanon are with Genji when he's giving the hint, without him really addressing them both, just addressing AT them. Then afterwards, Shannon and Kanon vanish and are replaced by Beatrice.

Add that, before either romances even started, both characters are the only ones on the island that can talk to Beatrice (which was, personally, one of the biggest Shkanon hints to me).

Quote:
() About Kanon's backstory, and when he died: I honestly have no goddamned clue. Perhaps it's something mentioned in the story, but perhaps it isn't. If we think about it, Kanon's backstory is not really integral to the story. We may never know who he is, what's important is what he means. This is interesting, because we might be able to say here that Kanon's background is intentionally not detailed - in part, to conceal the 'lie', and in part, because we are supposed to assume he and Shannon are very close (so she feels no need to talk about him).
Still, the placement of when he dies is important. For your idea to work as you suggest, he has to die incredibly recently so that the Jessica romance and the Shannon siblinghood are both strong enough that Yasu decides that Kanon must continue existing. If we consider the above point I made, it implies that Kanon died before he even went to the school festival, which was, if I remember right, set a year before 1986. So Kanon died a year after being hired?

Quote:
But, let's discuss red text for a moment. What can we say about it? We know it's no more than a contract - a contract between the reader and the author. At the same time, we understand that, if we trust the author, we must take red text to be the objective (if ambiguous) truth of the gameboard. But we can say more than that - we can say some red texts discuss universal themes, such as Kinzo's death or Battler's parents. Because of the nature of the games - because we assume they contain the truth - once we see a red that discusses the past before the conference, unless stated otherwise, we assume it is a universal, objective truth, across the entire game set. This may or may not be true. But, if you assume it's true, and you agree to take this one step further - that is, assume such red text is also true for the hypothetical R-Prime, you can surmise most of my theory.
Now hold the fuck on a moment. This is incredibly important.

At no point, ever, is the Red Truth ever described as "objective." And being "absolutely true" and being "objective" are entirely different things. Infact many of the very valid tricks in the red rely on the Red Truth NOT being objective.

Quote:
You know, this is something I've been trying to understand. I know the polyamory is supposed to either lead to it, or motivate Yasutrice to continue it, but I don't understand how. How is being in love with multiple people related to her motive? How can we tie the purpose of her crime to polyamory? The only explanation I heard is that she got "pushed into a corner and decided to kill everyone ahaha.wav" - but I think we can both agree this doesn't fit the facts.
You don't seriously buy that Yasu actually killed anyone, do you? It's so obvious that she's bullshitting us and playing the martyr AGAIN. I honestly can't believe that someone too timid to make a phone call can honestly organize a mass murder. Her Shannon and Kanon characters may be the culprits in the games she wrote, but I think this is to cover up for the real culprit, who is probably someone she loves, romantically or otherwise.

Yasu continuously exhibits a strong attachment, kindness, and empathy with the Ushiromiya family and the servants. She has no motive to kill them. She also sees herself as disgusting and undeserving of love and even living. She has every reason to take the fall for the crimes of someone dear to her.