View Single Post
Old 2012-06-01, 19:47   Link #2
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think she's very good at writing things that end up being entertaining and/or at least gaining a lot of attention.

I think she's excellent at writing life drama (romance drama in particular) when she wants to. She definitely needs a good, strong, takes-no-BS Editor or Supervisor to get the most out of her skills when it comes to serious life drama/romance shows.

Her overall range is impressive. There doesn't seem to be much that she shies away from completely.

Okada seems to have become the anime industry's first choice for anime original writing (she's also handled a fair bit of adaptation work, of course). I do think that Okada is getting spread too thin and is probably doing more than she should, but my hunch is that this might be mainly due to a general lack of depth/talent amongst writers within the anime industry (not including mangaka, and LN/VN writers) moreso than any real fault of Okada's. The only other regular to semi-regular anime original writer I can think of that gets praised as much as Okada does is Gen Urobuchi (Gen seems to be more widely praised than Okada, but he also doesn't seem to have her range).

I think that the anime industry owes Okada a lot, but by the same token, I think the anime industry could badly use another prominent anime original writer (specifically for the sorts of shows that Okada is most known for) in order to truly challenge Okada and keep her from getting too sloppy.