View Single Post
Old 2012-03-17, 13:42   Link #58
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Over my journeys through many anime forums, I've found people complaining "character designs in the 80s were more attractive boo-hoo where did they goooo!?"

............I really can't agree with that at all. I'm a bishoujo/nen fan and can't really name any 80s anime characters that made me go "Ooh, she's/he's pretty!" On the contrary, they look ugly to me, with the smaller eyes, pudgy faces and thick hair.

I mean, why would an anime watcher prefer this

Spoiler:

Would you chalk up old-school preference to simply nostalgia? Or not? Also, where do you stand and why?
Anime in the 80s used more detailed artwork to hide the lack of movement while in modern anime the use of digital effects and computer coloring requires cleaner simpler artwork. Both are cost cutting measures which influenced the look of anime at the time.

You can prefer the busy, scratchy anime character designs with muted colors of the 80s or the tight clean lined alternatives with intense colors and shading of modern anime, that's just a matter of taste. However that says little about the quality of the character designs.

I'm not sure if the choice is intentional but the original designs of the 80s characters that you showed have been done by Rumiko Takahashi, Yoshikazu Yasuhiko and Haruhiko Mikimoto. They are some of the best mangaka and illustrators who have worked on anime. The pictures you linked are from long running TV series and low budget ova, those don't do their designs any justice. Compare for example more recent anime adaptions of their work. It will make it hopefully more clear why these artists are so well respected among anime fans.

Spoiler for New comparison:

As you can see these 80s designers are more than capable of creating bishoujo/nen using their own styles as well.

In my opinion the general approach to character design hasn't changed that much over time. Sure, the 90s added Shoujo manga influences, as can be seen in the works of the CLAMP-girls, the 2000s added some VN visuals which can be seen in the Da Capo character, but it all remains instantly recognizable as anime. A good design remains a good design no matter when it was done.

Off course there are always people who refuse to watch anything out of their comfort zone whether old or new but that is their loss.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote