Thread: Food you cook
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-10, 17:03   Link #578
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
@Aohige: Your white sauce (which is actually bechamel sauce) used to make the basis of this dish (and many others) will taste far better if you make certain to cook the flour in the fat a bit before mixing your cold milk into it. This takes out the "raw flour" taste which can make things quite mealy. The microwave won't cook it properly--the roux needs to very slightly brown in a pan (and I mean VERY slightly, caramelizing a roux is only acceptable if you're going to make gumbo) on the stove or it will retain that raw taste.
Thanks for the tip. Although, mixing well with just butter in the first microwaving took care of much of the flour taste. I abbriviated in the instructions, but I poured a cup of milk after mixing the melted butter with flour first, microwave, mix, pour another cup, etc. So they were done in steps.

I know cooking flour in a pan with butter is the best way to go, but they're a bit technical and cumbersome. It's easy to mess up and get ugly clumps lol. I'm no chef, so I do the cooking the "easy singleman way".
All the stuff I cook are the "cooking for dummies and chimps" food, I dare not touch anything more complex than something I can just make in a wok and a microwave!