Thread: Dating
View Single Post
Old 2006-04-29, 14:30   Link #40
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fome
So thats what happened. Tomorrow I'm going to rent a tux. She's gonna wear a navy blue dress, so I'm thinking of going with a black jacket and pants, with a black dress shirt underneath, blue vest and bow tie.
Few key points:

1: Ensure she's not allergic to wool. A lot of the black tuxes, suits, etc are a wool blend, and I'd hate for her to end up like I did after prom: in the ER due to a severe wool allergy LOL Also you might consider matching your shirt to her dress, for an added splash of color (instead of just the vest). I guess wearing a white shirt is oldfashioned huh? Haven't been to the formal dance thing for a loooooooong time LOL
2: Depending on how formal an event this is (so sue me, I didn't go through ALL the posts lol), you may want to invest in a corsage; they go on the wrist, they're flowers, and it's a nice touch. Depending on how old-fashioned she is, she may think it's goofy or she may think it's incredibly sweet. The men's version is a boutonniere (which just pins to your lapel). Regardless, you may want to get her flowers of some sort anyway. It's corny, but seems to work with a lot of women (dead plants, whoda thunk).
3: For your safety, talk to her parents, make sure cell phones are charged (and answered!!) and clear the curfew time. If there's an after-dance party, guesstimate when it'll be over, clear that, etc, procure tickets if necessary ahead of time.
4: Make sure the car is clean, and whatnot, as her parents may poke their heads out and it makes a good impression, as opposed to you being pimped up and your car looking like a dump lol. Also, you don't want her dress to get dirty or anything.
5: Always be polite to her folks, I hope her dad's not the type to interrogate you but if he is, well, answer honestly, he'll probably know if you're lying to impress him Be a gentleman and they might overlook being 10 minutes late Heck, bring her home a little early and it makes an even better impression.

Uhm, jeez, my oldest would've been starting the dance/dating thing this year, so I THINK I covered everything I'd've gone over w/ her LOL. Be glad your date's dad isn't like my hubby. Who has sworn he will, when our surviving daughter is old enough to date, do the interrogation whilst sharpening a sword.

Also, should they ever invite you over for dinner, find out what her mom's fave flowers are and bring a small pot of them or whatever. Works wonders: even if the father doesn't like you, ofttimes if the mom adores you (and who wouldn't after flowers!!), you're still safe from harm

OH!! Most importantly: HAVE FUN!! And we want PICTURES!!!

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote