Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-03-11, 11:25   Link #1789
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Pueblo has a couple of 50 cal HMGs that are wrapped away in groundsheets. If it is mounted and used, it wouldn't really be captured. What I actually mean was that being Koreans in general might have made the South's soldier more susceptible to brainwashing to join the North in a case of capture, and vice-versa. Rarely would a certain species kill their own kind (unless we are talking about humans, sharks and certain genoa in general).
I'd think that would work the other way around actually. How many South Koreans, people from a rich nation where food is plentiful, are going to switch sides and defend a regime that starves it's people and keeps them in poverty? If anything, we'd be seeing the North Korean military surrendering in huge numbers like the Iraqis did the first Iraq war. Then again, maybe not. They might be living in a hellhole, but it's still their country and that means something to most people.

Also a couple of .50 cal machine guns doesn't count as being "armed". A destroyer usually has a bigger crew and always has a lot more firepower at it's disposal.

Quote:
South may be better armed and trained, but they have a smaller army, approximately 400,000 troops less. One fearful thing is that the entire of Korea might turn into another Vietnam War if an invasion occurs. I don't think North Korea is as weak as Afghanistan or Iraq, but definitely not as strong as its fellow "rogue state" Iran.
It's an advantage, but it's not enough to overcome the equipment gap or the natural defender's advantage. That's not even factoring in the air superiority the South would have on it's own, let alone if the US sends aircraft too. Remember, with things being equal, the general rule of thumb is you need at least a 3 to 1 numerical advantage to launch an offensive against a fortified position, with many claiming 5 to 1 as a better guide. Now a offensive against someone who has better training and equipment, and in fact has been training for exactly this scenerio, who also enjoys air superiority?

Quote:
What really puzzles me is that why would North Korea want a satellite despite its modern communications network being limited to Pyongyang only? Highly likely it would be an excuse to build a LRM.
If they can put a satellite in orbit, they can hit targets on another continent. That's why the US was so concerned when the Soviets first launched Sputnik. It's not the satellite, but the capability it proves the missiles have. Neither side really cares about the satellite here. It's what it shows the missiles can do. Even if the thing falls back to earth the next day, it still shows The North Korean missiles can do what they claim them capable of doing.

Last edited by Kamui4356; 2009-03-11 at 12:28. Reason: clarification