Thread: Licensed Saraiya Goyou
View Single Post
Old 2010-04-16, 02:59   Link #26
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
An excellent, excellent start. From the OP music and the Japanese typeface, I was hooked. It took me about ten seconds to get used to the flat look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaMiaka View Post
^^I just saw it on Hulu. It was really, really good. Awesome BGM. The character designs take getting used to, but once you get used to it, the "ugliness" dissipates.
Oh man, although I understand you two enjoyed the episode, but those are some adjectives that I wouldn't use to describe the characters. Before even seeing the characters in motion I already find the hallow, grim look they carry very encapsulating—mysterious, timeless, and calculating. Seeing them in motion just reaffirms my earlier thoughts.

For me, going into this series I expected a lot, and the first episode definitely answers my expectation. For me this is the real must watch of this season, everything about the first episode rubs me the right way. Wimpy Akitsu, perceptive Yaichi, and captivating Madame provide for a wonderful preview of how the characters will be and what the viewers should expect. I especially love the eyes—they provide such wonderful storytelling of the characters. The story doesn't seem that interesting so far, but Manglobe definitely did a very impressive job of keeping me interested (even when I'm severely sleep and food deprived at the break of the dawn). No fancy animation sequences, just pure characters and story, 100% awesomeness.

Job well done. Very much looking forward to episode 2.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote