View Single Post
Old 2013-01-22, 07:19   Link #131
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I would think that, in the context of Psycho-Pass, this is pretty self-evident.

"Latent criminals" are not equal to those that aren't latent criminals. Kagari does not enjoy the same rights and freedoms that Akane does.

Since this status is based on mere potentiality, and not as punishment for any actual harmful deed that a person has taken, it can only be considered institutionalized inequality, imo.

"Latent criminals" are basically a subclass in Psycho-Pass. In extreme cases, these people are even viewed as something less than human. The Sibyl system has dehumanized these people.

The farther we go into Psycho-Pass, the more I'm struck by how these "Latent Criminals" serving on the police force seem like reasonably well-adjusted, decent people. Sure, they might be a little rough around the edges at times, but they're not people I'd mind having as coworkers.

I really do question exactly what it is that these Psycho-Pass readings are measuring, and if too much importance has been given to whatever that is.
I can see your point, but I think you might have missed mine, which is:

Can we say that our own societies do not actually encode such inequality as well?

Or, if your emphasis in on the difference between a formally institutionalised form of inequality (stigmatisation by means of the Sibyl system) vs. one that is less obvious (stigmatisation because of norms encoded in society), here's another question:

Is a hidden/unacknowledged form of stigmatisation/inequality less controversial than a more obvious form?

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes