View Single Post
Old 2010-04-23, 20:46   Link #272
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by mero View Post
That one you posted in your last post was the original uncompressed png by the looks of that DA address associated with it.

I was really more curious about the reason for the restrictions rather than attempting to argue them. I didn't know that the sotm rules corresponded with the forum rules until just recently. I guess it isn't a huge deal.
Fair enough. I suppose I was a bit defensive. The origins of the SOTM are a bit ummm...haphazard. The concept began as a SOTW event that had some initial interest but kind of didn't really fit with the pace of the community here. Pretty much everything about the SOTM grew from the community discussing how to make it work for them. There's always room for improvement of course, but volunteer efforts and time....well, I'm sure you know how that goes.

Some of the rules were created simply because it was easier to mix them with things the community already understood, like the method of voting and the way the duration of the contest was handled (the original rule template for the SOTM was our banner contests). Some of them happened because of issues that arose when the a particular contest was happening (the rules regarding crops and derivative works for example).

It's a convoluted history but the bright side is that the contest has managed to stay running for years with stable participation. Can't ask for more than that honestly.