View Single Post
Old 2009-06-09, 04:34   Link #85
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post
I've always been interested in learning guitar and I might finally get the chance this summer... Can you guys please suggest some good beginner electric guitars for a complete noob such as myself? I'm just completely in the dark about anything to do with instruments in general and I don't even know where to start, lol.

I've been reading that those beginner kits that include amp are to be avoided? If I had to set a budget for guitar + amp + anything else, it would be somewhere around $300...

Also, are lessons worthwhile? I keep hearing people talking about how they learned to play on their own... Thanks in advance!
I am a classical guitar player. Here is my recommendation for you:
Number one: make sure that you really like guitar. You like its sound and you like to play it. If you don't, you will lose your motivation and along with that, your time and investment on the equipments.

Number two: Decide whether you like acoustic guitar or electric guitar. There is no point spending a lot of money on acoustic guitar and turns out that you don't like it because it doesn't produce the sound that you know.

Number three: Playing guitar not hard nor easy, but surely it is hard if this is your very first string-type musical instrument. You need to know how to hold your guitar, left hand fingering, right hand pickings, etc. If you have friends who know how to play guitars, you may be able to learn guitar from them. If you don't have a guitar community arounds you, self-learning from DVD is hard. You need to consider to take lesson for your first year learning.

Number four: Equipment is surprisingly an easy matter. You need to consider your budget. Do visit your musical store to try the equipment yourself (may be an impossible task, since you can't play guitar yet. Perhaps bring along an expert with you). For electrical guitar, people sometimes avoid buying a beginner set, because the guitar or amp are usually lower in quality. I think many people here recommend www.rondomusic.com for the SX guitar. It is not a bad guitar at all and you can purchase a 15 or 20 Watt amplifier separately for less than 50$. So your 300$ budget is more than enough. Oh don't forget the guitar tuner. I recommend Korg AW-1 or AW-2 without any hesitations.
SleeplessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote