View Single Post
Old 2010-12-18, 04:26   Link #19876
TehChron

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchfan View Post
I think she (?) is rightfully pressing some points that Renall was either unclear, or unsatisfactory on. From a dramatic standpoint, I can't accept a dismissal of the love duel, even though it makes sense in the context of his theory. Ultimately, the mystery of this story is the concrete, real events that happened on R-Prime. The duel could be a clever Author thing-a-ma-jig, but without concrete relevance to the mystery, I can't see it being as important as Ryukishi says.

I agree with what Renall is saying, for the most part, but I want to see it more integrated into core Rokkenjima. Assuming it's the truth -- how do we interpret it in context of the mystery? I think the love duel holds relevance in this sense, as well, and we shouldn't handwave this aspect of it.
Let's take apart the reasons for it, then:

What is it that can't be allowed to occur at the same time? Kanon and Shannon's existence off the island, or just their relationships?

We all know it's the latter, so let's look at it from a different perspective, here. The love duel isn't about Shannon and Kanon personally, but rather, it's about the nature of the relationships they're trying to pursue up until the events of the massacre. One can happen, while the other is doomed to failure.

We already understand the fact that "Shannon" does not exist. We are assuming that "Kanon" is similar in that regard, hence the Shkannon interpretation. Only one can get off the island and live a full life with their loved one. Naturally, this can also mean that, if we discard Ninja Master Yasu as a possibility, the only other interpretation that's applicable would be a more literal one.

Namely that only one of the relationships presented, or even individuals from those relationships, have a chance at surviving the events of the explosion. If we pursue this line of thought, it leads us back to the George-culprit theory (George would kill to be with Shannon, etc etc), which renders Shkannon pointless, and renders "Kanon" as little more than a better developed Genji, in regards to his overall relevance to the actual mystery.

We are told that Yasu and the Love Duel are key. Yasu is a sneaky as hell method of getting past Dine, but you have to really ignore the spirit of Knox in order for her to be the culprit.

On the other hand, Yasu provides motive for Shannon to act in the manner required to set up the events the way she did. Essentially enabling someone she had taken into her confidence to hijack the plan and commit actual murders. The true culprit. This means that either one of her usual prankster confidants (i.e. the servants) would be the result of things going awry (a violation of Dine), or rather, someone else (Jessica or George, for example).

The Love Duel demonstrates that under natural conditions, Jessica does not possess the capacity to kill another human being. George does demonstrate that.

Ugh. Basically, no matter how you approach Yasu and the Love Duel together, the logical conclusion is a George-culprit theory. Rudolf and Kyrie have no bearing on the Love Duel, so unless it's there purely for the sake of beating us over the head with Shkannon (which would be heavy-handed and a blatant insult to readers), it logically has to have something to do with the actual motives for the murders.

Man, that was a lot of rambling. Essentially, all roads lead to George.
TehChron is offline   Reply With Quote