Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-01, 18:06   Link #146
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
I admit that the release preview isn't as bad compared to the consumer as they fixed some of the problems like the login screen (only requiring a click to login) and you can access the control panel from the charms menu if you in the classic desktop. Still, Windows 8 is still very disorientating and I dislike metro... It just doesn't work with laptops and desktops that uses a keyboard and mouse. Even with a multi-touch trackpad, it's still gives a sour experience. To make it worse, you can't turn off metro completely if you don't want to use it.

This is where I think Mac and Linux got it right... they don't mess around with the desktop workflow. Yeah, Unity and Gnome 3 has turned off people, but you can use other desktop environments if you don't like it... even so, you can still multitask with multiple windows... Windows 8 is just awkward and Microsoft shouldn't have messed around with Windows 7, which the workflow is already prefect.
The worst part is that they HAVE put work in improvements under the hood in the desktop area and I don't really mind the Metro START screen anymore (if anything it seems kinda easier to navigate to whatever I want to run). Removing the fish was a nice bonus, and they do feel faster than 7 (I'm dual booting with 7). But the whole Metro apps approach and the Xbox tags everywhere just... feel like crap. The Metro apps in particular, maybe save the Photo app that's ALMOST decent for the one thing it can do, are beyond crap even in the Release Preview. Do they really want me to use Metro apps instead? If they do, I can't feel the love. Those are some of the worst apps I've run and the "fullscreen everything" plus 66/33 split just doesn't work.