View Single Post
Old 2007-10-08, 05:25   Link #50
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Wasn't really the biggest fan of the first series of Shakugan no Shana. I didn't think it was all bad, I just didn't think it was very good either, and overall, pretty forgettable (hence why a pseudo-recap like this is somewhat useful). But this wasn't too bad. I mean, yes, it did have the same-old SnS-brand of generic-supernatural-action anime triteness that we all know and "love" from the first season, but the whole dream sequence and following Yuuji (who still has no balls) figure his way out of it was actually quite interesting.

But, never mind that. That's one episode's story, and it will hardly send waves through the rest of the series. The thing that does though, as Skyfall and others have pointed out, is that Yuuji forgot Shana's confession. Weeeaaak. Reminds me of ZnT (what about this doesn't?) in that respect... finally, after an entire series, we get relationship development right at the very end, and they bloody reset it in the first ep of th new season! To hell with that! Clearly I should no better and shouldn't have expected more, but it's still a sore point, nonetheless.

Anyway, I'm expecting much the same as we got in the first series: mindless fun (that unfortunately takes itself too seriously), and the writers chickening out any time there's a hint of relationship development. Hmmm... can't wait.

As long as this doesn't turn into another Zero no Tsukaima, which has just put out the most disappointing sequel series I can remember for years. The difference between this and that is that this doesn't have a cast of characters as strong and likable as ZnT's, so it really can't afford a dip in quality on any front.