View Single Post
Old 2008-06-08, 19:38   Link #36
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Episode 4, during the Vajra Emo incident - he's basically piloting to fight for her sake initially. Alto first flashes back to Ozma's explanation of Ranka's past (orphaned by Vajra), then to their second meeting (courtesy of the Vajra), then becomes Shinn Asuka for about 30 seconds. At the end of the episode, when Ranka asks why he joined SMS, he glanced at her for a moment, then went on to fold his plane muttering about the 'chance' it provided. It sounded something like an excuse there, since he probably didn't QUITE know why he was flying in the first place except as an escape.
The only issue that I have with that is that we don't see that flashback before he first decides to get into the cockpit. It's one thing to remember a source of anger in the heat of battle, but it's another thing all together to make a decision to pilot based on that incident. Since Alto makes his choice by the end of episode three, he was not privy to the specifics when he decided to pilot.

In episode three, there are two lines that strike me as important:
First, after being rescued by Michael and dropping into the shelter:
"I was saved by him again."
The second, when Sheryl tells Alto that he should try to be supportive to Ranka when they are trapped inside:
"Shut up! If I could, I'd say it as many times as you want! But as I am now..."
These lines are spoken even before Alto learns about Ranka's past. Both convey a his feelings of helplessness at dealing with the circumstances around him. Based on this, I suspect that retaking control of his life could be the driving factor in his decision to pilot.

As a later example, when he learns about how Ozma kept his piloting a secret from Ranka, he becomes furious, but curiously, the line that he delivers is:
"I would have wanted to know everything."
His choice of words give his response an oddly personal twist. Again, his intense dislike of being left in the dark links back to the control issue; with knowledge comes the freedom to make your own decisions. It could have a more specific meaning as well, but for that we'll have to wait and see.

The statement regarding 'a chance' is meant to show Ranka that the SMS's offer had a similar meaning to himself as the Miss Macross competition did to Ranka (that's why he follows up with "Which is why you shouldn't give up either.") It represents a chance to break free of his past life and gain control over his life.

It's practically impossible to figure out what Alto's motives are for certain based on what little information we have, but this is my weak attempt to piece what we have together. Hopefully next episode will give us more of Alto's back story, so that we can have something a little more solid to work with.

Quote:
Episode 5 was where he got his explanation of why he SHOULD fly - because it was something that he would keep trying to do, if he want meant to fly, as Sheryl sings and Klein fights in a Queadlunn-Rauu. Episode 6 shows him embracing that reason, which is probably why he ends up fighting like a madman next episode even as he feels himself out of his depth watching the supposedly slower, more sluggish Armored VF-25 outperforming him due to Ozma's skill and burning passion.
This is good, but I wonder at the distinction between flying and combat. They could very well be the same thing in Alto's mind, but I'm not sure what to make of it.

Then again, though, Sheryl uses the term "fly" to imply combat in episode six, so perhaps that distinction hasn't really been explored.

Quote:
However, we're not sure if there's anything ROMANTIC on his side yet. I suspect his upbringing has confused his gender identity a tad.. or at least where romances are concerned, since I've yet to see him really think of any girl in a romantic way. Recognize sex appeal? Heck yes. Romantic interests? Not a whit - and he's actively chased away any girl who has, on the assumption they wanted Sakura-hime or a tie to the Saotome family.
Also, based on episode three, I think that he feels too keenly his own helplessness. So perhaps his aloofness (to both girls and guys) has something to do with the fact that he doesn't see himself as dependable? Just a thought.

Quote:
Alto's quite fond of Ranka, and wants to protect and encourage her... but then again, so's Sheryl. Yet, at the same time, Alto's quite fond of Sheryl and feels free enough with her to argue and yell at her when he thinks she's wrong or being a bitch... but that doesn't imply love. Lust, quite possibly - she's quite sexy, but not necessarily love there either.

However, the foundations FOR love have been laid between those two... and Ranka's busily trying to set up foundations for herself and Alto, now she's starting to recognize that she was jealous at the mall, then at the "Legend of Zero" shoot.
More than not loving, I'm not sure that Alto is in a position where he's ready for a romantic relationship, yet. As Sheryl points out in episode ten, his past is quite a delicate issue, and he doesn't seem ready to share it, yet. It's difficult to be in a serious relationship when you're always holding a part of yourself back. I think he'll need to resolve some of his own issues first, before he starts thinking about whom he wants to kiss.

Last edited by Swampstorm; 2008-06-08 at 20:14.