View Single Post
Old 2008-06-08, 21:13   Link #38
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
You do remember that the reason Mikhail kept bugging Alto about running away was that the piloting thing was due to Alto rejecting family tradition and doing nothing about it except fleeing? Part of it, i suspect, is that he felt he wasn't good enough to ever satisfy his father despite being famed for his performances... or so the flashbacks suggest. This puts them closer together in attitude, until Sheryl starts pushing the two of them towards their own destinies.

Look at some of his lines earlier on, and even in episode 5, where he says he hates city-ships because the 'sky is too low', a comment he made all the way back in the beginning of episode 1. He wanted to fly to escape his father and his past, since he didn't think he could transcend either by staying on the ground.
I'm not sure how his family issue will be brought into play. I acknowledge your scenario is possibly right but at the same it may be not right. It may happen that he is just not meant to be an actor despite he is very tanlented. We can see from the preview for episode 11 that he loves paper airplane when he is a kid. I'm not telling what must be true, but I'm more inclined to believe his family tradition drag his passion in flying down but he doesn't have the courage to challenge his father and tradition only runs away. This is what I think the basis for Micheal's teasings.

Now, I can see you argue Alto is still escaping. I don't disagree with you on that part but it still doesn't make Alto in same line of Ranka. Deep down in bones, Alto is the same kind animal of Sheryl who would go after whatever they want. The only difference between them is that Sheryl knows what she wants but Alto is confused and doesn't exactly konw what he wants. It's understandable. Despite his love of flying is pure and sincere, he doesn't know what flying means to him @coughStarDatecough@. His passion only tells he must fly but doesn't tell how to fly and where to fly. His hesitation comes from not understanding and confusion. But Ranka's is from low self-esteem.

Once Alto fully understands what he wants, he would go to take it in a way similiarly to Sheryl. On the other hand, Ranka knows from beginning she wants to be sb like Sheryl and find her wanting to be heard in ep 3, but she never goes straightforward to her wantings. Even in ep 10, she need Sheryl to ask her to respond those who is calling for her.

In short, even though they both hesitate in choosing their own paths, they do for different reasons. Alto asks himself if this is really what he wants while Ranka asks if this is sth she can do. I don't think Ranka and Alto are same in core.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
When people fall in love, they usually don't care about the details as to why. They just do. I doubt Ranka is going to put off her feelings just because she couldn't come up with a decent answer as to why she fell for Alto. Besides, we're still in episode 10. I'm pretty sure Alto is bound to find an even stronger reason of why he wants to do what he wants to do. Same for Ranka.
It's true sometimes people fall in love without any obvious reason. But do you agree people also question why they love their lovers or spouses when their relations are in trouble? You can fall in love and don't know why but reasonless love is difficult to last. Plus I sometime doubt if Ranka really loves Alto or she just loves the Alto she has imagined. The love in first glance rarely gives birth of lasting relations and Ranka keeps finding she doesn't know Alto other than appearance. I won't be surprised
Spoiler:

Last edited by herbert; 2008-06-08 at 21:42.