View Single Post
Old 2012-09-28, 12:48   Link #268
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It must really depend on the viewer here. I didn't consider the melodrama "half-assed" because I have no trouble buying the relationship formed, even in a short time. Your point about deus ex machina is inherently contradictory -- if a plot development is foreshadowed, then it's not a "deus ex machina" plot device by definition (and if it's hinted, then it's not "out of nowhere"). The whole "god unaware" plot revolves around that very realization. Your not liking that sort of story is obviously at issue, but I think that -- clearly -- calling it "bad writing" is just a matter of opinion.
Definition (or at least what I consider to be the definition) of deus ex machina: A Deus ex Machina is when some new event, character, ability, or object solves a seemingly unsolvable problem in a sudden, unexpected way (From TV Tropes).

I don't wanna get too technical but based on that definition above, I think it's safe to say it really was deus ex machina. And when I meant it hinted that Yui was an AI or whatever she is, the part where she suddenly pulls out a goddamn fire sword and kills a monster Kirito and Asuna couldn't kill is definitely NOT part of that hint. Also, of course what I consider bad writing is completely subjective, I mean it's my opinion after all and sharing opinions is the point of why there are discussions like this in Animesuki .