View Single Post
Old 2012-10-21, 12:39   Link #3482
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalsePrime View Post
Outside of being amazed at how AGE totally bombed it's also interesting to note just how close OO/Wing/G are in terms of how they performed.

All three did well/to very well and yet looking back and comparing them to how they are treated now makes it look like their placements on the chart would be much different then how they are.
Gundam 00 was absolutely detested while it was airing by a large section of the Gundam fandom. The only reason it's generally accepted now is that it's no longer the current series, but the bile for it was much stronger than even AGE at it's weakest moments, believe me I was there for most of it. I expect AGE will fare much better in peoples memories once the next series rolls around and the Gundam cycle will follow through in time.

As for Wing and G, I of course think both would fare much more poorly (yes even G, which already got a rough ride in it's first run for being so different) if they aired today and were subject to the internet's hyper-critical atmosphere that has not been at all kind to the Gundam franchise among others. I think it's no coincidence that Gundam series were doing okay in terms of fan reception up until the time the internet really started to take off circa Seed. I still remember the days of Gundam Project forums run by Mark Simmons (who you can see in the credits for Gundam Unicorn as a canon advisor) in the late 90's/early 2000's when the hottest newest thing on the block was Turn A Gundam and where things were very different and you could feel and practically breathe in the passion the posters had for Gundam and the desire for greater access to it. Flash forward about 15 years and that greater access seems to have become more of a double edged sword than anything.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote