View Single Post
Old 2012-11-26, 15:37   Link #126
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

I think I can pinpoint what makes this show not sit so well with me at times. When I see Kud or Mio for the first time, I wonder who is this girl? What does the protagonist know about her that I don't to explain the situation better? J.C. Staff doesn't take the viewers point of view into consideration in these cases. Knowing that Kud is half Japanese and Russian, and that her grandfather travels a lot which is why she was living in Finland is one of the first things explained about Kud in the VN. Knowing that makes so many of Kud's scenes make more sense. The difference between the VN and the anime is that the questions that come up as I'm watching/reading get answered at a fitting time in the VN, whereas the anime is really random when it comes to divulging information about the characters. The improper shuffling of scenes or lack thereof is just becoming brutally apparent as more character introductions are being done and feel off.

The scene shuffling for the series as a whole has been terrible. They have a character arc at the start and introductory scenes in the middle... the scenes are just all over the place. Rin playing with the pride of cats in a secluded corner of the school is the perfect scene to introduce her character. Her talking to Riki and not knowing the name of the girl behind her is a basis to view all her actions with the other girls, her playing with the cats and acting tsuntsun to Riki show's she has a much more dynamic personality that is playful and on the contrary can be friendly too. Having this scene first would have made her first interactions with Komari seem a lot more off-character. Instead J.C. makes us deduce she's shy after yelling at Masato for an episode and a half then acting all awkward in front of Komari. A comedic scene turns into a perplexing scene because of the scene shuffling. It's like J.C. assumes we've already played the VN already, and they don't care about how coherent the story is to the viewer who watches the anime as it's own work. Just as long as they animate all the scenes eventually it doesn't matter what order they do it in seems to be the perspective J.C. is taking.

Last edited by Ceral; 2012-11-26 at 16:29. Reason: Switched order of my paragraphs for more coherency