View Single Post
Old 2012-06-10, 03:37   Link #73
Vicious108

Fantastic episode on all fronts. So many different characters facing so many different trials and tribulations, yet they're all so fascinating to watch.

Let's start with the character whose story has now been concluded. Given the amount of death flags he raised in the previous episode, Rider's departure here was basically a foregone conclusion, but in no way did that lessen the impact of his final moments, which were, as has been the case with almost every character thus far, very fitting and quite poignant. His conquest has always been a spiritual one and his wish to conquer the world really all about winning over people's hearts with his way of life, and he embraces that same life so much that, in the end, his dream was found within his heart. A moving death scene to be sure, but more so than how he died, this is a man who should be remembered for how he lived. And Waver will most definitely keep that in his heart, as shown by his admirable loyalty that impressed even the almighty Gilgamesh. It was basically the weakest participant in the war at the mercy of the strongest, and yet he walked away unscathed, and will surely carry on the inextinguishable spirit of Iskander as a result. More so than any other participant in the war, Waver has already won something of the utmost value. His future should be a sight to behold.

And speaking of Gilgamesh's mercy, this was also quite the episode for his character. I absolutely love his displays of unabashed haughtiness, but moments of benevolence like the ones he had in this episode are the most revealing for his character and truly show how this individual that at first glance might seem one dimensional is actually filled with fascinating intricacies. "All dreams eventually disappear, when the dreamers awake." Such was the case for his dream with Enkidu (whose end would have been nice to see animated, but the BDs are the only hope left for that), hence his natural attraction towards other hopeless dreamers such as Rider and Saber. For lives led by humans who challenge the very limits of their humanity are the most beautiful ones. Those rare people are more precious than any item in his endless treasury, which is why, like Rider, he will never tire of the world as long as they're around. But even the likes of the King of Conquerors cannot replace Enkidu in his heart. No wonder he values Waver's loyalty so much, for he is clearly very loyal to his one and only friend's memory himself. A beautiful facet to an already sophisticated character, whose next move (likely towards Saber) as we reach the climax of this conflict I'm very much anticipating.

As for the other ongoing clash, it most definitely looks to be on its way to becoming equally powerful given the developments in this episode. But whereas Archer vs Rider was a battle of mutual respect, Saber vs Berserker is the complete opposite: one born of deep-rooted resentment. The reveal of the latter's identity, despite having already been spoiled to me (which made me rage as much as Berserker usually does), was wonderfully done and boy does his character design look awesomely vicious. Seeing him amidst the flames, brimming with madness and screaming his heart out, was almost as impactful to me as it was to Saber, whose spirit has clearly been crushed by what seems to be living proof of the consequences of her heavy ideals. And to Saber, there is no greater handicap. Her ideals are her source of strength, but only as long as she believes in them. Faced with an utterly disgraced Lancelot, how, if at all, will Arturia find the strength to continue to believe in the ideals that had always supported her up until now? I for one cannot wait to find out and this duel definitely has the potential to be a most exhilarating one, both visually and viscerally.

Last but not least, the final montage was a thing of beauty; the foreboding music, Kirei's eloquent prayer and the images of the various characters facing their fears and despair - Waver's loss, Kariya's agony, Saber's hopelessness, Berserker's madness, Irisviel's fate... It really puts into perspective how the 4th Holy Grail War turned out to be one big tragedy for almost everyone involved. And who better to give closure to such a conflict than Kiritsugu and Kirei, who seem to have finally come face to face at the end. I already went into why their rivalry is so compelling last week, so there's no need to restate my high hopes for their confrontation. I don't expect many words to be exchanged between them, given how cutthroat the two are, but theirs is a clash of wills that is sure to be filled with a heavy meaning for both fighters nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Ufotable really managed to pull the "Sword of Rupture" without resorting to a cheesy "energy blast".
Definitely. I'd always found it lame that both Saber and Gil's most powerful moves both consisted of generic sword beams, so it was great to witness the way ufotable presented Enuma Elish here. Now there's something that does justice to the name of "Star of Creation that Splits Apart Heaven and Earth".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
As for the Berserker reveal, it was a good one that I feel I should have seen coming. But I hope they explain more in depth why he became like that
I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to the Arthurian legend beyond the general knowledge of it and Fate's spin on it, but when I checked out Lancelot's Wikipedia entry, after having his identity spoiled, to try and see if there were any clues to his madness, I found this:

Spoiler:

Of course, I doubt that'll serve as the explanation here. Not sure how the whole Guinevere scenario would work here, what with our female Arthur and all. Regardless, I believe Saber's ideals and Rider's seemingly accurate criticisms of them are already enough to give us an idea as to why Lancelot turned out the way he did here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
When Gilgamesh respects you, he never fools around. The only way to win against him is to resort on his Arrogance EX. If Worthy Foe Appears, it cancels it.
Yep. That's the character's whole "tragic flaw", so to speak. It suits him perfectly and is the reason why his insurmountable power doesn't just break the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Wow, Archer both respectful and merciful? Surely that's a F/Z first.
From the BD version of episode 11:
Spoiler:

So yeah, Gilgamesh isn't entirely self-absorbed. He'll show mercy to those who pledge themselves to him and respect to those he considers worthy. It just so happens he has really high standards for people (and why shouldn't he when he's the legendary hero who possessed all things in the world) and thus only truly larger-than-life folk such as Rider are able to receive the honor.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote