View Single Post
Old 2009-01-21, 10:28   Link #1846
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Doesn't the fact that people are still grumbling even after the TSAB won show a dent in this theory - obviously, "acceptable" losses are not quite as clear cut as the final result only.
That is your choice. I could go on an on about how Fate 'should' have reacted in her lost fights, and how Seven Arcs 'should' have done research. I don't. The fact that you are grumbling about it is your choice, and your choice alone. There is only a handful of people complaining about it, the rest of the people go 'yeah, it wasn't really an accurate display of military. Oh well.' and move on.

Quote:
But they DID manage to do it for the examples you showed. In fact, the first example in particular was almost written by a lawyer trying to exonerate Fate from any such accusation. We show her doing reasonably against Vita. Then we see Signum being so tough she just stands there and takes direct hits without effect and being able to blast Fate into walls. As if all this wasn't enough, 3 episodes later, Fate gets a rematch armed with cartridges and a toughened device and draws even.

Lotte was pure surprise. Surprise is good. It not only exonerates the hero for the failure, it makes the villain look more villanous. I still have worse vibes of Aria and Lotte than Regius, Graham, Scarlietti and only a bit better than Precia. And they even wrote a lawyer's statement for that one too, about Aria and Lotte hiding so well even ship's scanners can't find them - the implications are obvious.

Chrono's victory was paved carefully too. He's a skilled hero in his own right (he hadn't been sidelined yet). They show him at a higher rank.

The teacher they decided to invert the Show, not Tell rule. This is the final defence. In a situation where you can't plausibly show your characters losing, but it is vital that they do, just SAY they did and make all as murky as possible, and let your readers plot their best rationalization. It is better than drawing it out and f*cking up.

If they did half as well in handling the losses in Ep16 as they did in your examples, it might have escaped such criticisms.
And yet, the logic you used can just as easily be used in defense of the TSAB. They lost horribly against Jail's first assault, but by the time the second battle comes around the corner, very shortly afterwards I might add, their forces are holding of a massive assault of drones, find the enemy base, hold of and infiltrate the enemy flagship and claim victory in the end.

Quote:
It was lost?
Ah, I'm sorry. Backtracking my posts I realize I'm confusing theories with facts here, I was assuming that, with Belka dominating the dimensions for milenia, their loss also meant the loss of dimensional travel. I have no canon evidence for this theory though.

Regardless, this not being the case makes Mid's progress even more admirable. Had they been the first to re-discover dimensional travel, they would be able to spread their influence much faster then any other world. However, if this is not the case, then Mid being both the most dominating magic style and the biggest fish in the pond becomes far more admirable.

Quote:
Whatever its competences were, they definitely weren't in the military field. Competence is relative, however, and if everyone is equally incompetent, the most resourceful side (generally the TSAB) wins.
And yet again I will point out that the TSAB operates in areas filled with severe conflict, doing so while incompetent in the area of military is certainly not something that strikes me as easy.

Quote:
I won't deny the brute force factor when it comes to melee. However, that wouldn't have the effect in the analogy. In fact, losing to brute force is one of the easiest and most "accepted" ways to get your heroes to lose a battle.
Certainly. In this scenario it also happens to be somewhat likely. Pure coincidence, I'd say.

Quote:
How much money does it take to hit the Internet...
It takes time, and time equals money in more ways then just hourly pay.