View Single Post
Old 2003-12-16, 03:29   Link #7
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

That helps me fine tune my recommendation quite a lot. Every one of these has a great well focused story.
  • Condor Hero - Think of the best Hong Kong martial arts movie that you've ever seen. This is strong on characterization and drama with some really kick-ass fights thrown in for good measure. If I was going to liken it to anything in particular I would say that it most resembles "Crouching Tiger, Hiden Dragon."
  • Princess Tutu - This is a unique and thoughtful show about fairy tales. It seems sweet and innocent on the outside, but the inside is very dark and rich and deep. Don't let the surface fool you! Note that you have to give this show a few episodes to develop or you might actually think it is simple and uncomplicated, but then the true plot develops...
  • Tenshi na Konamaiki - Some serious gender wierdness, but strangely this isn't a wierd show. This is a romantic comedy whose theme is exploring the underlying differences between men and women. This is fun and romantic and sometimes very insightful. Definetly not a harem show!
  • Piano: Heartwarming story of a teenage girl. There is no real plot, just the story of her life at an important time in her growing up. Very well done. It consists of just 10 episodes which have all been subbed. Get the batched episodes subbed by Solar.
  • FullMetal Alchemist: Story of how two brothers searching for the ultimate secret of Alchemy, the Philosopher's Stone, find far more than they bargained for. Not much by way of romance unfortunately, but it has a lot of other stuff going on. Get the AnimeForever version. There are a few unfortunate translation errors in the Keep&ANBU version that might confuse you.
  • Mermaid's Forest: A dark and twisted tale about the evils that men might do in quest for immortality. Just when you think you've seen the worst, you'll discover that there are depths yet to be plumbed. This is seriously messed up. Curiously, it is by Rumiko Takahashi, the creator of Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura, Inu-Yasha and others. It proves that she can create something very serious and deep when she tries.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.