Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2006-09-20, 09:17   Link #1808
wowo

Quote:
Originally Posted by m000m000
Is this just a rumour or an actually confirmed thing? O_o

...Well, whatever they do, I deeply hope they do it in good taste. So far the show itself has not let us down in this aspect, at least. .
Supposedly the director said there will be one in some magazine interview.
Probably Megami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignae
Odd; I didn't like HiME for angst. But I liked the second series more, too, because it was slashier and we got Mashiro v2. Back on topic, I'm interested in this assessment. I feel that there wasn't angst, but thinking on individual episodes, there was! It's just understated a lot of the time, and the dark underbelly of sequences is never brought to light.... Like FatPianoBoy said, it was mostly about ordinary life. This transition time was intense but treated lightly (ep 24) because the focus was the macro-level perspective. Limited omniscience. And naturally, this approach is lacking when it comes to personal heightened emotion, which it wasn't trying to achieve. No, wait, isn't that from being spread out between too many characters? (That's the one thing I hate.) Instead of being immersed in one person's perspective, we have a process of switching that goes on from episode to episode. There's never quite enough of any single thing. Even of NeviAer.

(I'm rambling. I think I have a high probability of being wrong.)
Well, I liked almost everything about HiME, angst and no angst.

As for Simoun, I just felt the climax was too early in the show, that's all. After a certain episode all they did was have long scenes explaining things, while I feel like they had enough time to explain things little by little, as if unfolding a mystery. I read a lot of things where people complained about the first few eps since they are unclear, but that's what I loved - you felt that you were viewing an entirely different world. The later eps are like "ok viewer! Now we're going to have this character angry because of this! And then this country is actually _______! Isn't that interesting?". I don't know, maybe it's sloppy writing, sloppy directing... no idea. It's just not working too well for me. It's interesting, but not spectacular. That's just a taste thing though.
The low-key ending will be fine for me too. I just wish there was more of a feeling of mystery, but I just feel like everything feels so "matter of fact". I don't know... it feels... shallow? Don't get me wrong, I like the story - ah, I don't like the story telling. That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
Spoiler:
Spoiler for ep25and26:

Last edited by wowo; 2006-09-20 at 09:28.
wowo is offline   Reply With Quote