Thread: Licensed Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
View Single Post
Old 2010-05-14, 14:21   Link #313
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Kimikiss was never praised though. In fact it was one of the most unsuccessful series of that season. Sold like utter crap.

Probably had something to do that gamers had big expectations and where shot down and thuys refused to follow the series which decreased the popularity of anime quite a bit, despite that it was based on such a popular game.
Aye, the response was bipolar - people who hadn't experienced the game tended to love the series because it was *unusual* (two male protagonists -- more seinen-like interweave), whereas game fans seemed to expect the usual serial-linear-choose-the-girl harem series and were enraged. I regretted the "lesson" the industry took from it because I thought it was a good series on its own merits.

Been reading the manga adaptation where the author simply follows "the path" to a girl in each volume ... the stories are simple fairy tales with happy endings and no hint of consequences in regard to the other girls. So it goes, each 'shipper gets their own volume of child-like fantasy.

Somewhat of a derail here.... Hopefully, Maid-sama's source material isn't such that fans of the source don't spin out as well