View Single Post
Old 2009-04-17, 16:45   Link #1016
shcfyd
snow is fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Was it actually specified that the Imperials use the Soviet 7.62x39mm round, as opposed to 7.62x51mm NATO or another form of 7.62mm? I must have missed that...
glad you asked, theres actually about 5 popular cartridges designated as 7.62, its like a first name for the cartridge, and very ambiguous.

7.62x25TT
- russian pistol cartridge, used widely in WWII, ppsh41 smg and TT-33 pistol chambered them
7.62x38R - russian revolver cartridge, used widely throughout the Bolshevik revolution and into WWII and beyond in the Nagant revolver
7.62x54R - standard russian rifle cartridge, used through WWI and WWII in the renound Mosin Nagant series rifles. Still used today in PKM machine guns and SVD dragunov's <-[this cartridge is probably what VC was referring to, although not explicitly]

7.62x39mm
- russian, first developed in 1945, chambered by the SKS-45 carbine, and RPD light machine gun, don't think any saw any real combat in WWII, as this was very close to the end of the war. Now most commonly used in the AK-47 not 74 series however.

7.62x51mm NATO - used by NATO forces, well after WWII :P

as you've probably guess the nomenclature(for this cartridge) is bullet diameter x length of cartridge- however, no calibre measurements are exact-but thats not really one topic :P in fact nomenclature is usually case by case basis...

shortly after posting this I realized that I've misread a post for the second time today...argh, oh well im sorry, but i dont feel like erasing stuff :P

also, does anyone know of a method to take screens on the PS3? i'd like to make some game/anime comparisons, but mostly for kicks and giggles

Last edited by shcfyd; 2009-04-17 at 16:56.
shcfyd is offline   Reply With Quote