View Single Post
Old 2012-10-05, 02:24   Link #24
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
If you have an SSD, put the OS on it. No question.

Games if you have the space, so pick and choose the most important ones you want to have that loading time perk. But OS first, always. Then frequent programs (browsers, office, antivirus, etc.), then games. Static media is of course a waste on it.

That Seasonic isn't ever going to be used to its full potential. The recommended wattage you get from online calculators has to take into account much worse PSU's than the mighty Seasonic Gold.

Most PSU's are variably efficient at different points and worse in others (20%, 50%, 80%, for example), so the PSU experts love to complain that noobs buy big wattages to waste electricity on. But that's not a problem for you, since the Seasonic 80+ Gold is essentially efficient at all usage levels (that's what the rating means).

It just means you'll pay for more than you'll ever use, though, unless you go nuts with Crossfire/SLI, lots of hard drives, and a bunch of peripheries.
Would it still be a good idea to get that 850W Seasonic, in case I use it in a future upgrade that has a GPU that takes a lot of wattage? I'm sure it'll be more wattage than I'll ever need, but I'd rather it have the ability to take on more wattage than I'll ever need it to rather than getting a 700W PSU that isn't enough for a future upgrade and it results in my PSU dying. My current PC, I made the mistake of getting a cheap, generic PSU and it pathetically died from something very minor and then I had the fun of losing my PC for a week or two as I shopped around for a new one, had it mailed to me, and then had to put the new PSU in, complete with drawing a diagram that helped keep track or where all the components plugged into. No, it wasn't all real terrible, but I could've done without it. I know now to invest in good quality PSUs, and it is good to get one with a wattage that should always be able to handle the wattage you throw at it.