View Single Post
Old 2006-08-31, 01:09   Link #22
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan
Translating a word in a translation is not localization and is not arrogant. It's doing your job as a translator.

If anything, using words from multiple languages for 'flavor' when the characters use one language is what annoys me. I couldn't stand the constant use of Engrish in Black Lagoon when the characters speech in Japanese was already supposed to actually be English... same with people who write fanfiction always putting random Japanese phrases in the character's mouths even though they write their dialogue primarily in English.

Gah.

Oh no all them Del Ray translators are going to be out of a job!

Actually your stance intrigues me....

Out of context do you get annoyed when you go to restaurants and see dishes named "chow mein", "korma" and "sushi"

imho language of an anime/manga is suppose to convey over a story that the author wants to share with us (and make a buck too ), a characters little quirks are part of the story and if a translator takes that away then they are doing more then translating as they are changing a character and therefore changing the story.

Japanese have lots of quirks in their language which can't be translated via language or local understanding (girl nick names suffixes for example).

For someone to believe that desu is unacceptable to the western market to me says that they believe that market is closed minded and stupid which it most defiently not. It would be even worse now if they decided to keep in unyuuu and nano, because even through they have kept my favorite character "in character", they would have just rubber stamped Sui as a "yesu" to a lot of the western readers.

Just going back to the food example I could imagine going to an Indian restaurant and asking for a curry... The chicken one with which is kinda spicy and coconuty.... but wait curry that word isn't English, nor is beef or pork etc etc as they are adopted words form other countries, but they are in the dictionary... nooo my head hurts...

The usage of yes on the end of a statement when I read it is like underlining and bolding, or just plain stupid. ie "The lack of desu is stupid yes?", [STUPID]"I am eating pizza yes"[/STUPID], desuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu is a quirky usage of desu

Last edited by grey_moon; 2006-08-31 at 01:39.
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote