View Single Post
Old 2008-04-19, 19:52   Link #79
Westlo
Lets be reality

lol @ Sheryl teasing Alto about her being his "inspiration" for later that night. Good episode I'll give it an 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Uh, I've been watching this anime and reading manga a lot longer than you think.
If you've seen so much Orion why do you keep saying stuff like "Sheryl is too old" when you should know that has no real bearing. You also seem bewildered as to why Sheryl would be interested in Alto when if you've seen so much surely you would've come across similar situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
Oh sure, I definitely agree with that.

Nevertheless, there seemed to be some kind of fundamental connection between the usually grumpy Alto and Ranka in this ep.--it just felt to be something far more substantive than the tsundere bickering between Alto and Sheryl. That latter by comparison just seems so... cliche. IIRC, when Minmei and Hikaru first started dating, much of it seemed to be driven by him saving her, and the time they spent together trapped in the ship. Obviously, with Ranka, there's also a damsel in distress dynamic, but the connection between her and Alto seems to work on an emotional level as much as anything else. And Alto was interested in Ranka *before* he had to save her.
I don't think Sheryl's character has allowed her to get good quality time like Ranka has had with Alto so far, that will change.

Quote:
But no doubt about it; I'm sure Sheryl will get her quality time with Alto, and will form a plausible leg to the triangle. But I think the writers are giving as lots of flags early for a reason.
I would say something but it involves a manga spoiler + episode title spoilers for 5 and 6, check the Sheryl thread if you want to discuss the episode title spoilers. As for early flags... it's not just how you start but how you finish!

As for your Ranka being the lead female comment earlier (I have no idea why Sheryl is listed 2nd in the credits since Ranka has had way more screen time) you can look at Shuffle, Ichigo 100% and the original Macross itself to see that it doesn't assure anything.

Quote:
Only time will tell, I suppose...
Yep yep... anyway time for a romance thread really soon.