View Single Post
Old 2009-10-02, 16:38   Link #98
BashZeStampeedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono View Post
Im going to rewatch all 3 versions back to back *yeesh thatll take a while* when sfw's is out so i should have a better idea by then of which one i want to keep, but i would probably say that frostii does let their hatred of lawrence color their subs.
Yeah, I agree. I'm planning on doing the same. On one hand, viewing Lawrence as more of a jerk makes it easier to view Horo as less of a jerk. But on the other hand there are already enough issues with this season; if neither character grew I might as well write the whole thing off as filler.

It also confuses me since Horo seemed really torn by how selflessly kind he was in the first season. Did his character really change that much as he realized he "liked" her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono View Post
honestly this scene still seems awkward to me and still doesn't make much sense with either translation. I know shes supposedly pushing him away from her so he can realize his dream and because shes scared of getting close to him and finishing their journey, but good lord the part near the end its so obvious she doesn't want to say goodbye, shes speechless, then in tears! it just doesn't make much sense
Brace yourself, it's time for another of my long-winded over-analyses

Assuming she hasn't been lying or hiding some darker truth, or that I haven't missed something, I only have one interpretation - she's just a total basket case. Regardless of what has screwed her up this badly, she's a wreck. We'll have to wait to find out whether there is a sympathetic reason for it, but she's too damn cute to not sympathize with anyway.

She has irrational fears of commitment. She appears to want to get closer to Lawrence, but is scared they will start to grow apart. She has shown signs of this before as early as the first OVA where early-on she changed the mood so he "wouldn't get tired of her". To me, that's a sure sign of emotional baggage.

But she wants Lawrence badly enough to tease him in subtle ways, no matter how cruel it is. She's punishes him harshly for the slightly (perceived) breach of loyalty, but can't openly give him a sure sign that she wants him. Of course all of this backfires horribly because he is understandably confused and also starts to get snarky with her as he starts to emulate her better.

In retrospect it seemed like she had a panic attack because she was worried that she was screwing him up (ie, she cares about him, but makes the wrong choice). Unfortunately her fight-or-flight instincts went the wrong way to "flight". She seems to confirm that in the end ("you defied my foolishness with everything you had").

Lawrence is lucky that he has the patience of a saint. He needed just the right conditions to convince Horo. If he was impatient he might have blurted out the wrong words, or angrily said something he'd regret. Even worse, he might have set her into a panic by appearing insincere - he had to remind her of his willingness to sacrifice everything for her because she's always worried that he doesn't take her seriously. On a more personal note, of course, he also had to figure out whether she was really worth all the aggravation.

Because he didn't rush things, he ended up in a good position to confess everything and demonstrate that he was serious. She still fought against everything he said in that final speech (he chose her, confessed his love, etc etc). It wasn't until he made it clear that he was willing to wait for her to figure herself out that she finally broke down into tears - at least that's how I perceived it. Even then she kept hinting that he would take responsibility for it.