View Single Post
Old 2012-09-29, 18:19   Link #63
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I also got some mixed feelings regarding how Asuna expressed herself: I'm fine with the romance going a tad serious for their age, but the extent is sort of too artificial.
I dunno, the interactions go to some extreme at times it is just a rollercoaster in the literal sense (even though romance isn't supposed to be a straight and progressive line to begin with, obviously).

Frankly, I think they could smooth the writing a bit by having a balanced deal of "solid romance" thorough the episodes, instead of using a sledgehammer here with Asuna, either during the fishing event or Kirito's attempt to make her wait at their HQ.

This also has an impact with the boss sequence, leading you to wonder why they pulled a cliffhanger like that, with a seemly "irrelevant fishing scene" in the very same episode. I wouldn't exactly mind having the first half centred on Kirito's insecure feelings and dilemna regarding Asuna safety, and a solid portion on the boss, instead of having a mere tease.
At least, I'm glad the mechanics behind bosses are variable to dramatic extent: instead of having a unpredictable pattern but frail boss like gleam eyes, Skull Reaper goes directly straight to the "tank and DPS, or raid wipe".
With that in mind, it is pretty evident Kayaba is playing textbook with everything you should expect and -be afraid- of, in terms of traps and all. It would be even more sadistic if the next boss has status ailment or magical AOE/Room hazard

And I guess I'm again playing the broken record, but the budget is average, even worse than usual with so many facial deformations during the fishing part, and inconsistent animation and stillshots galore in the boss part.
These 2 first poor victims were really... well I dunno, I definitely can imagine people frightened to death upon seeing that kind of boss (intimidating and deadly looking, with the initiative to boot), but the way they were designed and animated was almost comical to me (schmidt was fine, but these two? nope), I mean if you replace the context, it could match sequence in scooby doo
I guess it is pretty much a dead giveaway that there won't be any smooth animation at all.